The family of Jastine Valdez has thanked the Irish people for their support, compassion and sympathy since the tragic death of their daughter last weekend.

In a statement, Teresita and Danillo Valdez also thanked the emergency services and gardaí for acting with the "utmost professionalism" following the death of their daughter.

They described Jastine as a "fun-loving, wonderful, caring daughter and friend" and said that she will always be in their hearts.

They said she had plans to buy a house in Ireland and make a new life.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

The Valdez family added that it has been some comfort knowing how deeply her death has affected the people in Ireland.

The family also thanked the people of the Philippines, Outreach Ireland, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Consul for the Philippines Mark Congdon for their support at this traumatic time.

The statement ends with the word 'Salamat', meaning thank you in Filipino.

Read More: 

Gardaí examine note in car to establish motive 
Disappearance of Jastine Valdez

The 24-year-old student was attacked and bundled into a car as she walked to her home in Enniskerry, Co Wicklow, on Saturday 19 May, and killed a short time later.

The man suspected of her murder, Mark Hennessy, was shot dead in Cherrywood Business Park on Sunday night after what is described as an interaction with gardaí.

Ms Valdez's body was found at Puck's Castle Lane in south Dublin on Monday afternoon.

Gardaí are investigating the background of the 40-year-old married father-of-two from Woodbrook, Boghall Road in Bray, who had convictions for public order and drugs offences.

Hundreds of people have turned out in Bray this afternoon to pay their respects to Ms Valdez.

Her remains are lying in repose in the Co Wicklow town while arrangements are made for the repatriation of her body to the Philippines.