A young girl has been airlifted to hospital after being overcome by fumes at her home in Co Clare.

The alarm was raised at around 4.30pm when a call to the emergency services reported that the six-year-old had breathing difficulties.

Ambulance paramedics and gardaí responded to the incident in Ennistymon while the Shannon-based Irish Coast Guard rescue helicopter was also requested to assist.

After being assessed by medics, it was established that the child may have accidentally inhaled a chemical - possibly bleach.

Members of the Doolin unit of the Irish Coast Guard were mobilised to prepare a safe landing area for the rescue helicopter.

The child was taken by ambulance to the GAA field in Ennistymon where the helicopter was waiting to airlift her to University Hospital Limerick for treatment.