Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has condemned online threats against a garda saying it is "completely unacceptable".

In a statement gardaí said they are investigating online threats made against a garda member working in Dublin.

Commissioner Harris said: "Threats and intimidation against Garda members who are only doing their job to keep people safe and uphold lawful order are completely unacceptable. I utterly condemn it."

Appropriate supports have been put in place by garda management to protect the welfare and safety of the garda who was threatened, according to the statement.

The Garda Representative Association has also condemned the abuse, and condemned "derogatory comments" made against gardaí on last Friday's Late Late Show.

In a statement, the GRA also said it acknowledged and appreciated Commissioner Harris' "prompt condemnation of the abuse" and said that they look forward to working with him to ensure that such threats are fully investigated and processed in accordance with the law.


It follows reports that a garda who policed the Take Back the City housing protest last week has been threatened after he was named and pictured on social media.

A picture of the garda and details of his daily movements were shared more than 1,300 times online and received over 600 comments on social media.

The protest came just days after five people were arrested for public order offences during a repossession of a house on North Frederick Street in Dublin city.

The property was being occupied by a group of activists protesting over the housing crisis.

The owners of the property had obtained an injunction last month ordering the protesters to leave the building.

Concerns were raised over the role of gardaí, who were wearing fire retardant face masks, during the removal of protesters from the property.

The Garda Press Office said members of the public order unit were wearing fire retardant face masks, which are part of their uniform.

Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan said the incident "serves to highlight the challenges facing Gardaí in upholding the law on our behalf and the importance of all right-thinking people supporting them in doing that.

"Threats against them are threats against the rule of law and not acceptable. I expect the matter will be fully investigated by Gardaí."

Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government Eoghan Murphy said he was "disgusted" by the threats made against the garda, describing them as "utterly wrong".

Speaking on RTÉ's The Week in Politics, Mr Murphy called on those involved in the housing protests in Dublin to distance themselves from the threats.

He said: "I'm disgusted by it. It is utterly wrong. We talked about this earlier this week when the protests were happening, about the safety of the gardaí and that has to be paramount as they go about protecting the public.

"I do hope that anyone who's involved in these protests, any political organisations or protesting organisations, while of course they have a right to protest, that they distance themselves from this immediately cause it's completely wrong."