A woman has been jailed for three months for the manslaughter of her newborn baby daughter in 2018.

Caitlin Corcoran, 23, with an address at Castleblaney, Mullinavat, Co Kilkenny, but formerly of Mount Suir in Waterford, told gardaí that she did not know the baby was alive after giving birth in the toilet of a medical centre.

A trial heard last year that she placed the baby in a metal bin.

The baby's body was found several hours later after medical staff in a hospital realised that Corcoran had given birth and became concerned about the welfare of the child.

The woman, who was 19 at the time, was convicted last October at the Circuit Criminal Court in Waterford of the manslaughter of her baby and also of child neglect.

She was remanded in custody last month by Judge Eugene O'Kelly, who described the case at the time as "very sad and tragic".

The judge said it was up to the court to assess the gravity of the case.

He said he could not do that simply by looking at the harm done to an "entirely innocent" baby by the defendant's "inattention or belief that the child was born beyond hope of living", but he also had to make an assessment of the woman's culpability and that involved complex issues.

The court heard last year that Corcoran visited a medical centre in October 2018, complaining of back pain and constipation, accompanied by her mother, who had suspected that her daughter was pregnant.

While at the centre, she went into the toilet and gave birth to a baby girl. She placed the baby in a metal bin and returned to the doctor's room, but said nothing about the baby or the birth.

A GP referred her on to University Hospital Waterford where doctors found indications that she had recently given birth.

Local gardaí were notified and they searched the medical centre, finding the body of a full-term baby girl in a bin. The baby's body had been there a number of hours.

Corcoran repeatedly denied giving birth until eventually she told a detective "she's mine," in relation to the baby.

She told gardaí that she did not know the baby was alive when she gave birth, as she had not felt any movement for the previous month, and said she did not know why she placed the baby in the bin.

Corcoran said if she had known the baby was alive she would have called someone. She was later arrested and charged with manslaughter and child neglect.

The prosecution told the court last year that the case was one of gross negligence manslaughter, that the defendant had breached her duty of care to her baby and that her negligence was a substantial cause of the baby's death.

The court heard the baby was healthy when born, had breathed after birth and had not suffered trauma or inhaled water, such as from a toilet bowl. Her death was attributed to inattention at birth.

A jury found the defendant guilty of manslaughter and neglect last year and the case was adjourned to allow for the preparation of various reports.

In a letter written to the judge, Corcoran said she deeply regretted what happened and wished things could have turned out differently. She asked the judge to look at her case "with compassion and understanding".

Judge O'Kelly said today that the baby girl had not been given the chance of a happy life because she was neglected from the moment of her birth and left to die by the one and only person who knew of her birth.

He described the case as sad and tragic and said it has had a devastating effect on Corcoran, before imposing sentences of three years and three months for both the manslaughter and neglect offences, suspending three years of those concurrent terms.