A man who was attacked by a stag while working for the ESB has settled his High Court action.

John Corcoran was on his way to check on a mast when the stag attacked him on a forestry path in Co Tipperary more than five years ago.

The attack on the 63-year-old engineering officer took place at Kilduff Mountain outside Templemore in September 2016 during what is traditionally rutting season.

The terms of the settlement are confidential.

In a statement released on his behalf afterwards, Mr Corcoran said he was grateful to be alive but said the attack would forever haunt him.

He added: "Being left for dead in a bush for over an hour-and-a-half having narrowly escaped death is not a risk in the workplace that should ever be allowed to happen. I truly hope lessons have been learned."

He said no employee "particularly in the already dangerous line of work of the ESB, should ever be left alone especially when working so remotely".

Mr Corcoran said it was deeply regrettable that the case and the accident occurred and he claimed it could so easily have been prevented "with better support and working conditions from the ESB".

Mr Corcoran's case began earlier this week but had been adjourned after he had to attend hospital when he had an asthma attack in the witness box.

This morning, Mr Justice Paul Coffey was told the case had been settled.

Mr Corcoran, from Fawnlough, Nenagh, Co Tipperary had sued ESB Networks Designated Activity Company with a registered address at Clanwilliam House, Clanwilliam Place, Dublin and the Electricity Supply Board with a registered address at East Wall, Dublin over the stag attack on 12 September 2016.

Mr Justice Paul Coffey was told that liability had been admitted in the case which was before the court for the assessment of damages only.

His claim for damages included a total of €420,000 in loss of earnings.

It was claimed that Mr Corcoran had been permitted to work alone in a mountain area during the deer mating season when it ought to reasonably have been known that it was dangerous and unsafe to do so.

It was further claimed there was a failure to have in place any warning device, panic alarm, 'man down' system or automatic distress message system for persons working alone in isolated areas.

In the witness box he said it was "a really lovely summer’s day when the attack happened".

"A herd of deer crossed the path in front of me. I said wouldn’t it be a lovely picture and then I got a sense of fear. The hairs on my neck were standing. I looked behind me and there was a stag fifteen paces back from me," he said.

He started to run but he said the stag hit him with force, his antlers creating eight puncture wounds on Mr Corcoran’s rucksack and wounding him in the shoulder

"He propelled me through the air at speed over a bank and into the scrub. I lost my helmet and glasses," he said.

The stag continued to attack with feet and antlers but Mr Corcoran said he had a rod and managed to hit the stag a few times in the nostrils, but it reared up on his hind legs and came crashing down on him.

Mr Corcoran said he lost consciousness for around ten to twelve minutes but later managed to reach his phone and call for help.

His solicitor Sean Fitzgerald of HOMS Assist said it was miraculous that Mr Corcoran had survived the stag attack.

"We are only grateful that his case is one that highlights the role of care and responsibility that employers have for their employees. We are pleased that Mr Corcoran now has some closure and that he and his family have the financial support for the care he requires for his life-changing injuries," he added.