Contempt of court proceedings have been taken against businessman Sean Dunne for an alleged failure to comply with a court order.

The official in charge of Mr Dunne's bankruptcy brought a motion before the High Court this morning asking that Mr Dunne be brought before the court to answer the claim.

The official assignee Chris Lehane claims the developer is not complying with a 2018 court order to pay €7,000 monthly to increase the assets available for his creditors.

The matter was briefly mentioned before Ms Justice Teresa Pilkington at the High Court on Monday.

Senior Counsel for the Official Assignee Edward Farrelly SC told the court that Mr Lehane "intends to press ahead" with the attachment and committal application against Mr Dunne.

The court heard that it was anticipated that Mr Dunne will oppose the application on the grounds that he is unable to pay the €7,000 per month payments.

The judge also allowed legal firm OBH Partners, who had previously represented Mr Dunne in his Irish bankruptcy proceedings, to come off record and cease representing the businessman.

There was no objection to that application, and the court was told that the former solicitors would provide e-mail and home address of Mr Dunne to the OA's legal representatives.

The judge adjourned the matter for two weeks to see if Mr Dunne is to obtain new lawyers or if he will contest the contempt proceedings himself.

Mr Dunne was not present in court today. However the court heard that he is seeking new legal representation.

The application is the latest in what has been a long-running battle between Mr Dunne and bankruptcy officials in both Ireland and the United States.

Mr Dunne was adjudicated bankrupt in 2013 on foot of an application by Ulster Bank after he had defaulted on some €164m loans.

That same year Mr Dunne filed for bankruptcy in Connecticut in the United States when he claimed to have debts of $1bn and assets of $55m and a US bankruptcy trustee was appointed by a US court.

Mr Dunne was due to exit his Irish bankruptcy in 2016.

However in 2018 the High Court extended Mr Dunne's bankruptcy by 12 years after a judge deemedthat he had not co-operated with the OA.

Mr Dunne opposed the proposed extension.