Former Defence Forces member Lisa Smith, who is facing trial accused of ISIS membership, has been granted bail with strict conditions including an internet and social media ban.

The former soldier, who left Ireland and married after she converted to Islam, was located in a Syrian refugee camp, and after a trek to Turkey with her two-year-old daughter, was brought back to Ireland on 1 December.

On arrival she was arrested and questioned for three days before she was charged with being a member of the middle-eastern terror group.

She had bail refused on 4 December at Dublin District Court, and has been held at Limerick Prison since then.

Family members have been caring for her child.

The 37-year-old brought her renewed bail application to the High Court in Cloverhill.

She will be able to take up bail and must comply with a number of conditions once she lodges €500 and a further €1,000 is put forward by an independent surety. Until then she has to remain in prison.

Mr Justice Robert Eagar made an order restricting the publication of evidence in support of the objection to bail to protect the integrity of the jury system.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

He said the outcome and any conditions, if conditions were imposed, could be reported.

Special Detective Unit (SDU) Sergeant Gareth Kane objected to bail citing the seriousness of the case and possible flight risk.

Michael O'Higgins SC for Ms Smith and Emmet Nolan BL for the State agreed with the order and to ban the media from publishing her address, but allowing reporters say she will reside at a location in the northeast of the country.

Wearing a black hijab with her face visible, Ms Smith sat behind a glass barrier for most of the bail hearing.

Visibly upset, she got into the witness box and after swearing on the Koran, she pleaded for bail to be with her child. She agreed with Mr O'Higgins that she would comply with any order made by the court.

In his ruling, Mr Justice Eagar said Ms Smith was accused of membership of a terrorist organisation. It was a serious offence that could result in an eight-year sentence, he said.

However, he continued, she was entitled to the presumption of innocence and the presumption of bail, which precedent states must be granted in most cases.

Bail was set in Ms Smith’s own bond of €500 which has to be lodged and the judge required an independent surety in the sum of €5,000 who must lodge €1,000. 

She must sign on at a garda station twice daily.

Mr Justice Eagar told her she would have to remain indoors from 8pm and not leave until 7am.

He told her she cannot leave the jurisdiction or apply for new travel documentation, having already lost her passport.

Mr Justice Eagar told her she must provide gardaí with a contact mobile phone number within 48 hours of taking up bail. The judge warned her that she must answer the phone if rung by gardaí and if she failed to do so it would be a breach of bail.

This would result in her going back into custody.

He also banned her from accessing the internet or using any social media and the final condition was that she must not have contact with non-garda witnesses in the case.

Ms Smith will face her next hearing on 8 January at Dublin District Court.