A man who disposed of the chainsaw used to dismember the body of Kenneth O'Brien has been found guilty of impeding the prosecution of his father, who carried out the murder and dumped the victim's body parts in the Grand Canal.

Paul Wells Junior, 33, was charged with impeding the apprehension or prosecution of his father Paul Wells Senior, 51, by disposing of a blood-stained chainsaw, which the Central Criminal Court heard had a piece of "brown meat" embedded in its motor.

It was the prosecution's case that the defendant did so knowing that his father had taken a life.

Wells Senior, of Barnamore Park, Finglas in Dublin was jailed for life last year having been found guilty of murdering Mr O'Brien at his home in Finglas on 15 or 16 January, 2016.

Wells Snr admitted that, after shooting the 33-year-old father in his back garden, he had dismembered his body and dumped it in a suitcase in the Grand Canal.

Father-of-three Wells Jnr told gardaí in his interviews that he did not know the chainsaw had been used to dismember Mr O'Brien's body and insisted he was just "putting the jigsaw together" when he threw the motor into the Royal Canal in Maynooth, Co Kildare.

Wells Jnr maintained throughout his interviews that he did not try to hinder the investigation and was afraid his father, who he described as a "glorified criminal", would shoot him.

The three-week trial heard that Wells Snr was a "very violent" man who in the past had tried to get the defendant to carry explosives and join the IRA.

Kenneth O'Brien's dismembered body was discovered in a suitcase in the canal

He also made threats from prison on the defendant's life and said if he did not put a bullet in his own son, "the IRA would".

Wells Jnr also confirmed to gardaí in his interviews that his father drove him to the canal in Sallins on the night of 16 January. The accused said he heard four splashes after the killer threw several bags into the water.

Furthermore, Wells Jnr told the authorities that his father informed him the body of a west Dublin man had been found on 19 January. Gardaí gave evidence in the trial that it was not publicly known where the deceased was from at that stage of the investigation.

The trial also heard that Wells Jnr went on his stag party to Latvia with his father, just days after Wells Snr had dismembered the victim's body. The accused also accepted over €11,000 in cash from his father but disputed it was payment to get rid of the chainsaw.

Wells Jnr, with an address at Beatty Park, Celbridge, Co Kildare had pleaded not guilty to disposing of a chainsaw motor at a time unknown between 19 and 20 January 19, 2016 in Co Kildare and not guilty to disposing of a chainsaw blade and chain on 20 January, 2016 in the same location.

The jury of six men and six women spent three hours and 55 minutes deliberating before bringing in a unanimous verdict of guilty on both counts.

Wells Jnr was remanded on continuing bail until 10 February, when it is expected that his sentence hearing will take place.