Contempt of court proceedings against Facebook and Twitter, where the identities of the two boys who murdered schoolgirl Ana Kriégel were shared, have been struck out, despite the continuation of "alarming posts" online.
An injunction compelling Facebook Ireland Limited and Twitter International Company to remove any photographs or material identifying the two teenagers has also been discharged at the Central Criminal Court, following the boys' sentencing earlier this month.
Lawyers for Boy A informed the court that there continues to be "alarming posts" online - one as recently as 13 November on Facebook - which have caused considerable distress to his client's family.
Brendan Grehan SC on behalf of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) said this matter was dealt with "swiftly" and a number of files are currently being considered for prosecution by the DPP.
Under the Children Act 2001 and by order of the trial judge Mr Justice Paul McDermott, it is an offence to identify the two boys as they are both aged 15 and considered minors.
The injunction against Facebook and Twitter was originally imposed by Mr Justice Michael White on 19 June, after lawyers for the DPP told the court that photographs identifying the two boys had been circulated by social media users in the aftermath of them being convicted of murdering Ana.
Mr Justice White agreed to extend the order against both social media platforms on 26 July for four months, until after the boys' sentence hearing on 29 October.
Lawyers for Facebook and Twitter consented to the order remaining in place until 22 November.
The court heard that matters were continuing to be monitored at the time and both respondents were "wholeheartedly co-operating".
The injunction stated that the social media giants must take down any photographs or posts identifying the boys which they "become aware of or which is brought to their attention".
At a brief hearing this morning, Mr Grehan told Mr Justice White that the matter in which the court granted injunctions on 19 June had been mentioned a number of times before the court since then and was adjourned with the consent of the parties pending finalisation of sentence.
Mr Grehan said the sentencing proceedings in relation to Boy A and Boy B had concluded before Mr Justice McDermott on 5 November and he had continued his order directing that nothing identifying the two boys be published anywhere including on social media.
The barrister said that since these proceedings were first before the court, both Facebook and Twitter have cooperated with the DPP and the gardaí in removing offending material and "halting its proliferation online".
"That along with a garda campaign has resulted in a situation whereby since this matter was last before the court on July 26, there has only been a few isolated incidents, all of which have been swiftly dealt with by the parties," he explained.
Having regard to that situation, Mr Grehan said that it is agreed that the injunctions granted can be discharged and that the entire proceedings can be struck out with no further order required from the court.
"Facebook and Twitter have indicated they will continue to co-operate voluntarily with the DPP and the gardai," he emphasised.
Furthermore, Mr Grehan said gardaí have concluded a number of criminal investigations already and continue to investigate other persons who posted or repeated offending material on their social media.
As a result, the barrister said a number of files are being considered for prosecution by the DPP.
In summary, Mr Grehan told the court that Mr Justice McDermott's order remains in place and anybody who breaches it will not only be in contempt of court but will also be committing a criminal offence in breach of the Children Act of 2001.