A 37-year-old serial sex offender has been jailed for a total of 12 years for the rape of one woman and the sexual assault of another after meeting both women through the Tinder dating app.

Patrick Nevin is already serving a five-and-a-half year sentence for the sexual assault of a third woman.

All three attacks took place within 11 days in July 2014 and involved Nevin meeting the women on Tinder and then picking them up at their home before driving them to secluded areas to attack them.

He was due to go on trial for the rape charge, but pleaded guilty after a judge ruled that a jury should be allowed to hear evidence of the other sexual assaults.

Ms Justice Eileen Creedon said the attacks were premeditated, predatory and callous.

The judge said using the Tinder dating app was not an invitation to rape or sexual assault. She noted that before both attacks, Nevin had mentioned the IRA and said to one of the women "don't worry I'm not going to kill you here".

The judge said the rape was premeditated and callous, carried out in a remote location, increasing the woman's vulnerability by using threatening behaviour.

It was degrading and predatory rape, which showed "complete disregard" for the woman who had been "chosen randomly" on Tinder.

She said it had to be viewed in context having been carried out four days before another sexual assault and 11 days before another sexual assault.

The offence was also carried out while Nevin was under a suspended sentence for carrying a stun gun.

His "remorseless attitude" was a serious aggravating factor along with the serious impact the attacks had on the victims and warranted a severe punishment.

The judge said the sexual assault was "premeditated and predatory" and was a sustained attack demonstrating a level of aggression. The woman had no idea where she was and he had "tricked" her back into his car and assaulted her again.

His guilty plea was "very late to be of benefit", the judge said.

Judge Creedon imposed a 14-year sentence for rape, suspending the final two years. She imposed an eight-year sentence for sexual assault to be served at the same time.

Nevin must also be supervised by the probation service for five years after his release.


During this time, he will not be allowed to use the internet or dating apps to make direct contact with anyone. He is also not allowed to engage in bodybuilding or take performance-enhancing substances.

His sentence was back dated to 2015 when he went into custody.

A probation report said he was co-operative and accepts responsibility and concurs with the victims' accounts.

He was assessed for risk of re-offending using two different assessment tools and found to be of medium or high risk of re-offending. However, he had demonstrated a willingness to address his behaviour and was suitable for post-release supervision, according to the probation report.

Nevin was convicted of sexual assault and sentenced to five-and-a-half years after an eight-day trial in 2017, having denied the charge. He later pleaded guilty last year to the attacks on the two other women.

His change of plea came after a judge ruled that a jury should be allowed to hear evidence about all the attacks.

At the Central Criminal Court, he admitted raping a woman at Bellewstown, Co Meath on 12 July 2014 and to the sexual assault of a second woman at an unknown place in Co Meath on 16 July 2014.

He was previously convicted by a jury at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court of sexually assaulting a foreign student after driving her to the UCD campus in south Dublin on 23 July 2014 and was jailed for five-and-a-half years. Today, the court was told he has withdrawn an appeal against that conviction.

The court heard that at the time there was a suspended sentence in place for a conviction in 2012 for possession of a stun gun.

The court also heard he had previously served a seven-year sentence for a brutal assault on his partner and threatening to kill her after he had killed their two dogs.

The father-of-two has been in custody since 2014, but has former addresses at Meadowlands Court, Mounttown Road, Dún Laoghaire and Dundalk, Co Louth.

The Central Criminal Court was told that Nevin was a very active participant on Tinder in July 2014 and later told gardaí he had "thousands of matches" and had met hundreds of women.

On 12 July, he got in touch with a woman who made it clear she was not interested in a sexual relationship and they arranged to meet up.

He collected her in his car, drove her to a remote location in Co Meath where there was some consensual sexual activity, but he then proceeded to rape her.

The second incident four days later followed a similar pattern.

He met a 27-year-old woman on Tinder and arranged to meet her. He drove her to a remote location in Co Meath where he repeatedly sexually assaulted her over a prolonged period of time.

He threw her out of his car on an isolated road before offering to take her home.

The woman said he was like a different person, apologising and offering to drive her home. He then pulled the car over a second and third time and sexually assaulted her again.

Nevin recorded the conversation and a transcript was read to the court in which he could be heard repeatedly calling the woman names, accusing her of teasing him and telling her if she was a man he would "box the head" off her.