Former INLA member Dessie O'Hare, who was known as 'The Border Fox', has been jailed seven years.

O'Hare, 62, from Slate Rock Road, Newtownhamilton, Co Armagh, admitted assaulting John Roche, at The Towers, Garter Lane, Saggart, Co Dublin, on 9 June, 2015.

He also pleaded guilty to falsely imprisoning Martin Byrne at Rathcoole and Saggart on the same date.

O'Hare told gardaí he was employed by Dublin businessman Jim Mansfield Jr to evict an employee and his family from his home.

The Special Criminal Court had heard that Mr Byrne pleaded with O'Hare to be given a few days to leave his home voluntarily, but O'Hare told him he was to "get out right now".

Mr Justice Tony Hunt said O'Hare led the attack on Mr Roche and directed the removal of the Byrne family from their home.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

After being released 11 years ago under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, one of the country's most notorious terrorists, Dessie O'Hare was brought back to prison today.

He led the attack on Mr Roche, falsely imprisoned Mr Byrne and directed that he, his wife and son be removed from their home.

The gang of seven involved in the attack included the convicted murderer and former INLA member Declan Duffy.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt said O'Hare was an enthusiastic participant in the assault on Mr Roche and admitted he had been employed to carry out the crimes.

He said the reputations of O'Hare and Duffy would have been well known to Mr Byrne and part of the plan to intimidate him. When Mr Byrne did not "take the hint at the first meeting" he said, the attack took place at the second.

O'Hare's previous criminal record was relevant and the damage to the Byrne family was significant, ongoing and permanent with the family now in witness protection.

O'Hare, he said, was an organiser and high-level participant and the judge said the court did not accept his offending was "isolated" even though he had applied himself positively in the last 13 years.

The judge said O'Hare's offending was far too serious and premeditated to be overlooked and his predisposition to violence had not mitigated in the time since he had been released from prison.

The Special Criminal Court sentenced him to ten years in prison with the last three suspended on a bond to be of good behaviour for the rest of his life.

Dept of Justice will not be reactivating 40-year sentence

The Department of Justice has said it will not be reactivating O'Hare’s 40-year prison sentence, imposed on him in 1988 and which he was released early from under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

The Department says the law provides that sentenced people are entitled to one quarter remission and a sentence is deemed to have been served when three quarters of the term has been completed.

The Department says this applies whether or not a sentenced person is in custody.

That means that O'Hare’s 40-year sentence with ten years' remission expired last year and the Department says there is no question of its subsequent reactivation.

His accomplice Declan Duffy had his licence revoked by the British government and he is to be extradited to continue serving a sentence for the murder of a British soldier.

The Department says, however, that a life sentence is "quite different" because a person on early release may be recalled to prison in certain circumstances.