The jury in the Tipperary murder trial has heard that a pathologist told an investigating garda that the remains of Bobby Ryan showed evidence of multiple injuries which could be the result of a traffic accident or a serious assault.

A senior investigating garda was giving evidence in the trial of Patrick Quirke of Breanshamore, Co Tipperary who is accused of murdering Mr Ryan, a part time DJ known as Mr Moonlight.

Mr Quirke has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Mr Ryan at an unknown location on a date between 3 June 2011 and 30 April 2013.

Mr Ryan's body was discovered by Mr Quirke on a farm at Fawnagowan, Co Tipperary.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Supt Patrick O'Callaghan, who was one of the senior investigating gardaí, attended the post-mortem examination carried out on the remains by Dr Khalid Jabber the day after the body was discovered.

His notes of a conversation with Dr Jabber contain a reference to multiple injuries which could have resulted from a traffic accident or serious assault.

Supt O'Callaghan was asked by defence counsel Lorcan Staines if he was aware that Dr Jabber was refusing to give evidence to the trial.

The witness said he was aware the pathologist would not be available but not that he was refusing.

He agreed with Mr Staines that Dr Jabber's report had been peer reviewed by other pathologists.

Earlier, he was questioned about the decision to remove the body from the tank on 30 April 2013.

He said the pathologist was not willing to attend the scene of the discovery of Mr Ryan's remains before they were removed from the underground tank.

Supt O'Callaghan said he believed best practice had been followed on the day, and he "absolutely" would follow the same procedures again.

He said the pathologist was contacted but was unwilling to attend the scene and the forensic science laboratory was also contacted.

There was an experienced scenes of crime officer on site when a decision was made to remove the body.

He said he did not believe that anyone would have been able to carry out any detailed examination of the body while it was still in the tank.

Asked about the evidence of an entomologist last week who agreed that best practice was to wait until all experts were on site, Supt O'Callaghan said in 25 years attending murder scenes he had never seen an entomologist attend a scene.

He said the removal of the body was not a rushed operation, the body was found at 1.30pm and was not removed until after 6.30pm.

Asked for his opinion now, with the benefit of hindsight, he replied: "Sitting here now you could stand there and make 20 calls to every forensic scientist, but I don't think anyone would have been able to go into that tank and examine it if you saw the gear the fire service had to wear."

He said he believed the chemical suits worn by the fire service were better than the suits available to the Garda Sub Aqua Unit or scenes of crime gardaí.

Supt O'Callaghan was also questioned about a concrete slab covering the tank which broke during removal by a mini digger.

Asked if this would not have been the most significant thing to happen, he replied that the most significant thing to happen that day was the discovery of the body, not the breaking of a slab.

He was also asked why, in a book of evidence, there was no mention of the fact that a lady's hair clip was found in the tank.

He said he would not have attached any major significance to that because several girls had grown up on that farm and it could have been washed in from the milking parlour.

He agreed that the clip had not been sent for DNA analysis until this year.

Supt O'Callaghan was also asked why Mary Lowry's house was not searched at the time of Mr Ryan's disappearance.

He said Mr Ryan's car had been found at Bansha Woods and the farm yard and slurry tanks were searched to rule out an accident.

Mr Staines said if the farm yard was a focus, why not the house where he was last seen.

Supt O'Callaghan replied: "It just wasn't done."