The sentencing of a 37-year-old serial sex offender for the rape of one woman and the sexual assault of another after he met them through the Tinder dating app has been adjourned until next year.

Patrick Nevin is already serving a five-and-a-half year sentence for the sexual assault of a third woman.

All three attacks took place within 11 days in July 2014 and involved Nevin meeting the women on Tinder and then picking them up at their home before driving them to secluded areas to attack them.

At the Central Criminal Court this morning, Ms Justice Eileen Creedon said the defence had previously requested a prison governor's report, which had not yet been submitted to the court.

The judge said she was now also ordering a report from the Probation Service and was informed that this could up to three months to prepare.

She adjourned the case again to 13 May next year.

The woman who was raped by Nevin was in court and became distressed when the sentence was adjourned.

Last month, he admitted raping a woman at Bellewstown, Co Meath, on 12 July 2014 and to the sexual assault of a second woman at an unknown place in Co Meath on 16 July 2014.

He was also convicted by a jury at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court last December of sexually assaulting a foreign student after driving her to the UCD campus in south Dublin on 23 July 2014.

He had denied the charge and was sentenced to five-and-a-half years in jail for that offence last month.

At the time of the offences, there was a suspended sentence in place for a conviction in 2012 for possession of a stun gun.

He had previously served a seven-year sentence for a brutal assault on his partner and threatening to kill her after he had killed their two dogs.

The father-of-two is in custody since his conviction last December, but has former addresses at Meadowlands Court, Mounttown Road, Dún Laoghaire and Dundalk, Co Louth.

The Central Criminal Court was previously told that Nevin was a very active participant on Tinder in July 2014 and later told gardaí he had "thousands of matches" and had met hundreds of women.

On 12 July, he got in touch with a woman who made it clear she was not interested in a sexual relationship and they arranged to meet up.

He collected her in his car, drove her to a remote location in Co Meath where there was some consensual sexual activity, but he then proceeded to rape her.

The second incident four days later followed a similar pattern. He met a 27-year-old woman on Tinder and arranged to meet her.

He drove her to a remote location in Co Meath where he repeatedly sexually assaulted her over a prolonged period of time.

He threw her out of his car on an isolated road before offering to take her home. The woman said he was like a different person, apologising and offering to drive her home. He then pulled the car over a second and third time and sexually assaulted her again.

Nevin recorded the conversation and a transcript was read to the court in which he could be heard repeatedly calling the woman names, accusing her of teasing him and telling her if she was a man he would "box the head" off her.

In a victim impact statement, the woman who was raped said it was the worst night of her life. She said she does not want to be in the same country when he is released from prison.

Reading her statement to the court, she said: "When I signed up to Tinder it was to look for a potential boyfriend or relationship. I wasn't aware I'd be meeting up with a monster. He has put my life on hold for nearly four years.

"I feel tainted, dirty, stupid for meeting up with him in the first place because I assumed he was okay with just going for a drive and a chat.

"He said 'okay' when I messaged saying I wasn't looking for sex, a one night stand or anything like that. He 100% abused that trust and just used me like a piece of dirt."

She said to say she was terrified that night was an understatement.

The woman also said the rape had affected her "ability to be fully focused on being a confident, happy, outgoing mother that my son needed and deserved. Instead, my son has had to deal with a sad, scared, suicidal and depressed mother, which he didn't deserve or ask for".

The woman said she was left as a "shell" of her former self and made her fearful for her life because Nevin was very intimidating.

She said preparing for the case had forced her to bring up details of her history with men, and her medical and counselling history, which she always assumed would remain confidential.

Having previously attended counselling for depression, she was making a good recovery in 2013 and was looking forward to the future.

The woman said Nevin made 2014 her "never ending nightmare". She said she had changed physically and mentally and at times had stopped eating for days.

She said: "Many times I would cry myself to sleep hoping I would never wake again. I will always question 'why me?', but I will probably never have the answer.

"I once told my counsellor that in a way I felt sorry for him and what must he have been through in life to make him turn out the way he did. I've always had empathy for people, but he does not deserve any of it. He made the choices he did, despite the many 'nos' I said and 'stops'.

"I don't know what the future holds for me, but one thing is for sure, when he is released from prison I don't want to be in the same country as him."

The other woman handed in a victim impact statement but did not want it read aloud.