A man who was convicted of sexually assaulting a woman he met on the dating app Tinder has pleaded guilty to two further attacks in which he raped one woman and sexually assaulted another.
Patrick Nevin, 36, whose most recent address was at Meadowlands Court, Mounttown Road, Dún Laoghaire and previously Dundalk, Co Louth, met all the women through Tinder and the attacks were carried out over an 11-day period in July 2014.
He was awaiting sentence for the sexual assault conviction and was due to go on trial for rape this week. He was facing a further trial in October for sexual assault.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
Nevin's guilty pleas mean he can now be identified as he has no trials pending.
His guilty pleas followed a significant ruling by Judge Eileen Creedon yesterday to allow details of his other offences to be made known to the jury in the rape trial, which was due to take place this week.
The jury was told this morning that no trial would now take place because he had pleaded guilty.
Prosecuting counsel had submitted that the evidence of all three assaults was relevant to the case as there was a similar methodology used.
The judge agreed and said because of the similarity in the modus operandi she would accede to the request to include the evidence.
She said in including such evidence a balance had to be struck between its probative value over its prejudicial effect.
In legal argument in the absence of the jury the court was told that Nevin had met all three women on the Tinder dating app and had used a similar method to carry out the assaults.
Last November, Nevin was convicted by a jury after denying a charge of sexual assault.
In that trial, the jury heard he had subjected the woman to a frightening and violent sexual assault after taking her to a secluded part of the UCD complex.
The woman told gardaí he had "turned into a monster" before sexually assaulting her.
Nevin's defence lawyers had also tried to have reports of his previous offence removed from news websites but this application was rejected by the judge.
Judge Creedon said running through the case law on this issue was the ability of juries to focus their minds on the matters put before them in the courtroom.
She also referred to comments made by another High Court judge in a similar application, who said courts would have to become accustomed to the modern world with regard to material accessible on the internet.
Nevin is due to be sentenced on 26 July for rape and sexual assault.
His lawyers said they needed time to have forensic psychiatric reports prepared.
His sentence in the Circuit Criminal Court for the sexual assault conviction is to be mentioned in court this Friday.