The Revenue Commissioners have paid out almost a quarter of a billion euro under the Covid-19 Restrictions Support Scheme to businesses impacted by the pandemic. 

The CRSS was announced in Budget 2021 to assist businesses forced to significantly restrict or prohibit customers from accessing their premises due to the pandemic.  

Such businesses can claim payments of up to €5,000 per week from the Revenue Commissioners while the restrictions are in place. 

Since the scheme was launched on 17th November, 19,000 businesses have registered 22,000 premises with the Revenue to avail of CRSS supports. 

The Revenue confirmed that claims totalling €244.2 million in respect of 20,100 premises have been lodged to date, with €243.1 million of this processed for payment. 

84% of the value of the payments was accounted for by businesses registered for corporation tax, while the remaining 16% applied to income tax. 

Bars that serve food accounted for 17.7% of CRSS subsidies paid out, while hotels and accommodation (including B and Bs) received 17.5% of supports. 

Cafes and restaurants got 15.3% of CRSS payments, while Bars (i.e. wet pubs) took 12.8%. 

Retail specialist stores including clothing and toy shops accounted for 11.3% of supports, with Personal Services businesses (such as hairdressers and beauticians) receiving 6.2% of the CRSS subsidies.

The remaining 19.2% of claims were made up of other enterprises.

The Revenue say that payment is generally made within 3 days of submission of a qualifying claim. 

On a sectoral basis, hotels and accommodation accounted for the highest average weekly payments at €1,917, followed by bars serving food, where the average payment was €1,885.
 
Cafes and restaurants averaged a weekly payment of €1,283, with retail specialist stores receiving  €1,051.

Wet pubs qualified for €640, while personal services companies like hairdressers only averaging €297 per week. 

The "other" category saw average payments of €1,221. 

The Revenue Commissioners note that on 4th December last, the government announced a double CRSS payment for businesses unable to open for three key weeks over Christmas and New Year.