skip to main content

Vigil held as O'Callaghan says Sakila probe under way

A composite image of a headshot Yves Sakila in the top left and a different image of him being restrained on the ground by security personnel
Yves Sakila being restrained by security personnel outside a retail store on Henry Street in Dublin

A vigil has been held on Henry Street in Dublin city centre in memory of a Congolese man who died following an alleged shoplifting incident last Friday.

Members of the Congolese Community in Ireland group chanted prayers, sang songs and laid flowers near the place where Yves Sakila was detained

Mr Sakila, who was in his 30s, became unresponsive after the incident and was pronounced dead in the Mater Hospital in Dublin last week.

Minister for Justice Jim O'Callaghan has promised a thorough investigation is under way into the death of Mr Sakila after demonstrators called for a full probe into his death.

People at a vigil on Dublin's Henry Street in memory of Yves Sakila
Members of the Congolese Community in Ireland group held a vigil on Henry Street in memory of Yves Sakila

Mr O'Callaghan extended his condolences to the family of Mr Sakila after what he described as a ''very distressing and concerning event''.

''The most important thing that should happen next is that there should be a thorough garda investigation.

"Notwithstanding the fact that it was private security individuals who were involved, there was a subsequent garda involvement and because of that there will also be a Fiosrú investigation,'' Mr O'Callaghan said.

Gardaí were alerted after security personnel detained a man on Henry Street in connection with alleged shoplifting at a retail store on the same street after 5pm on Friday.

They said the man subsequently became unresponsive at the scene and was brought to the Mater Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

A photo of Yves Sakila
Mr Sakila was described as an IT professional who had been living here since he was in his teens

Gardaí added the results of a post-mortem examination would assist in determining the course of their investigation and that the incident was reported to Fiosrú, the Office of the Police Ombudsman.

The minister also appealed to the public or anyone with information to come forward and said the video of the incident should not be shared further on social media.

''I want to assure the Sakila family and indeed the Congolese community in Ireland that there is a very thorough investigation ongoing," he said.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin also said the case must be thoroughly investigated.

He expressed his sympathies to the family of Mr Sakila and said "a lot of people are clearly very concerned" in the aftermath of events.

Asked about the incident this morning, the Taoiseach shared his "deepest sympathies" with Mr Sakila's family.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

"My deepest sympathies go out to his family, and to the wider Congolese community," Mr Martin said.

"The situation will have to be thoroughly investigated, and needs to be thoroughly investigated.

"I don't want to prejudice the outcome of that investigation but I think a lot of people are clearly very concerned about what has transpired here."

In a statement, Fiosrú said a referral was made by a garda superintendent regarding the incident.

It said a referral does not mean a garda has been accused of wrongdoing, but rather that Fiosrú will investigate whether or not the "act or omission of a garda or gardaí may have resulted in the death of, or serious harm to, a person".

Fiosrú said its investigations relate to incidents of contact with gardaí where a member of public has died or been seriously injured.

Flowers were placed at the scene of the incident and women from the Congolese community led the group in prayer, song and mourning.

People mourn the death of Yves Sakila on Dublin's Henry Street
People mourn the death of Yves Sakila at a vigil on Dublin's Henry Street

A Congolese man at the vigil said: "It's not all about the race."

"It could happen to me. It could happen to you," he said.

The man called for "justice for our brother".

Video deeply disturbing and distressing - Gannon

Social Democrats Spokesperson on Justice and local TD Gary Gannon said a video circulating on social media of the incident was "deeply disturbing and distressing".

"My thoughts are with Mr Sakila's family and friends, who are grieving at the moment," he said.

"This incident has also spread fear and upset throughout our migrant community.

"There must be an immediate, comprehensive and transparent investigation into all of the circumstances which may have led to Mr Sakila's death.

People mourn the death of Yves Sakila on Dublin's Henry Street
A woman leaves a rose at a vigil for Yves Sakila outside a retail store on Dublin's Henry Street

"The migrant community in Ireland is suffering from rising hate and discrimination, which the Government has done very little to combat.

"My thoughts and solidarity are with Ireland's migrant community at this difficult time."

Labour TD for Dublin Central Marie Sherlock expressed sympathies with the family.

"I want to offer my deepest condolences to the family of Yves Sakila and the close knit Congolese community in this city. My thoughts are also very much with the injured elderly man innocently going about this business.

"I am acutely conscious that the full information and facts of what happened have not emerged, and we wait a full investigation into what happened, to include the level of risk and threat to the wider public or the security guards," she said.