An explosion reported at a residential building in the southern Iranian city of Bandar Abbas on the Gulf coast was the result of a gas leak, according to the local fire chief.
State television said the explosion ripped though an eight-storey residential building, "destroying two floors, several vehicles, and shops" in the area of Moallem Boulevard in the city.
"The initial cause of the building accident in Bandar Abbas was a gas leak and buildup, leading to an explosion. This is the initial theory," Mohammad Amin Lyaghat said, in comments broadcast on state television.
Separate incidents were reported elsewhere in the country on Saturday but media outlets quickly dismissed any connection to an attack or potential sabotage, with tensions high as US President Donald Trump intensifies threats of military strikes against Iran.
"Unfortunately, a four-year-old girl lost her life," and 14 people were hospitalised, Mehrdad Hassanzadeh, director general of crisis management for Hormozgan province where Bandar Abbas is the capital, told Mehr news agency.
Images circulating on social media show part of the building's facade blown out.
The incident came as the US has built up its naval presence in the region, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.
After rumours circulated online, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) denied that any of the buildings belonging to its naval forces in the province had been targeted, according to a statement carried by the Fars news agency.
The Tasnim agency also denied "assassination rumours" surrounding the commander of the Guards' navy Alireza Tangsiri.
Separately, in the southwestern Khuzestan province, four people were killed in a gas explosion that also took place in the Kianshahr neighbourhood of Ahvaz city.
In Parand on the outskirts of capital Tehran, smoke in the area was "not related to a security incident and was caused by a minor fire in the reeds", state television reported.
Iran president says Trump, Netanyahu, Europe stirred tensions in protests
Earlier, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said that US, Israeli and European leaders had exploited Iran's economic problems, incited unrest and provided people with the means to "tear the nation apart" in recent protests.
The two-week long nationwide protests, which began in late December over an economic crisis marked by soaring inflation andrising living costs, have abated after a bloody crackdown by the clerical authorities that US-based rights group HRANA says has killed at least 6,563, including 6,170 protesters and 214 security forces.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi told CNN Turk that 3,100, including 2,000 security forces, had been killed.
The US, Israeli and European leaders tried to "provoke, create division, and supplied resources, drawing some innocent people into this movement," Mr Pezeshkian said in a live state TV broadcast.
US President Donald Trump has repeatedly voiced support for the demonstrators, saying the US was prepared to take action if Iran continued to kill protesters.
US officials said yesterday that Mr Trump was reviewing his options but had not decided whether to strike Iran.
Israel's Ynet news website said yesterday that a US Navy destroyer had docked at the Israeli port of Eilat.
Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Europeans "rode on our problems, provoked, and were seeking - and still seek - to fragment society," said Mr Pezeshkian.
"They brought them into the streets and wanted, as theysaid, to tear this country apart, to sow conflict and hatredamong the people and create division," Mr Pezeshkian said.
"Everyone knows that the issue was not just a socialprotest," he added.
Regional allies including Turkey, the United Arab Emirates,and Saudi Arabia have been engaging in diplomatic efforts toprevent a military confrontation between Washington and Tehran.
The US is demanding that Iran curb its missile programmeif the two nations are to instead resume talks, but Iran hasrejected that demand.
Foreign Minister Araqchi said in Turkey on Tuesday that missiles would never be the subject of any negotiations.
In response to US threats of military action, Mr Araqchi said Tehran was ready for either negotiations or warfare, and also ready to engage with regional countries to promote stability and peace.
"Regime change is a complete fantasy. Some have fallen for this illusion," Mr Araqchi told CNN Turk.
"Our system is so deeply rooted and so firmly established that the comings and goings of individuals make no difference."