Lockdown measures have been reimposed around Glasgow and western parts of Scotland as coronavirus cases rise. 

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announced the move after 66 new positive tests were recorded in the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde area on Tuesday. 

Restrictions on visiting other households will apply to people living in Glasgow, West Dunbartonshire and East Renfrewshire as of 12am on Wednesday. 

Nicola Sturgeon said: "Over the past two days, we have seen 314 new cases in Scotland and 135 of these in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde area. 

"If these numbers continue or - and this is the fear - they rise further, then more people will fall ill from Covid-19 and more people will enter hospital and intensive care." 

She added: "Transmission appears mainly to be happening inside people's homes and between households, rather than in pubs and restaurants. 

"From midnight tonight, if you live in local authority areas of East Renfrewshire, the city of Glasgow or West Dunbartonshire you should not host people from other households in your home and you should not visit someone else's home - no matter where that is." 

On Twitter Ms Sturgeon said: "I know how difficult this will be - I am a Glasgow resident so these rules apply to me too - but they are essential to, I hope, nip this in bud and avoid tougher restrictions." 

Exceptions were given - on top of emergency circumstances or providing care to a vulnerable person - for extended households which were established during lockdown. 

This includes people who live alone, couples who do not reside together and parents who live alone with children under 18. 

It is expected the measures will be in place for two weeks, however the Scottish Government will review them after one week.

'Multiple clusters' in Wales linked to Greek island of Zante

Meanwhile, holidaymakers returning to Wales from the Greek island of Zante are to be asked to quarantine for 14 days and be offered Covid-19 tests, the Welsh Government has said.

Health and social services minister Vaughan Gething said public officials had identified "multiple separate clusters" linked to the popular holiday island.

Currently there are no quarantine restrictions in place for people returning to the UK from Zante.

The first Tui flight affected will land tonight at Cardiff International Airport and passengers will be given a letter asking them to self-isolate for two weeks.

They will also be offered a coronavirus test within 48 hours of their arrival home and a repeat test eight days after returning.

Mr Gething said he was also asking for a meeting with the UK Government and the other devolved nations to discuss further measures.

"There are currently six clusters amounting to over 30 cases in the last week from four flights, of which two of these flights landed in England," he said.

Mr Gething added: "There is an obvious need for us to consider the potential for changes to the regulations in Wales which would require travellers arriving in the UK from Greece and possibly elsewhere to self-isolate on their return.

The new measures follow reports that passengers on a flight from Zante to Cardiff last week did not adhere to coronavirus rules.

Public Health Wales has confirmed at least 16 cases of Covid-19 from three different parties who were on Tui flight 6215 to Cardiff on 25 August.

Seven of those were infectious at the time of flying and all 193 passengers have been told to self-isolate, it said.