The British government is expected to backtrack on its plan to introduce full border checks with the EU from 1 January 2021 over fears of the economic impact of coronavirus.

Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove is anticipated to make an announcement on Friday over border operations for when Brexit fully comes into effect at the end of the transition period.

The UK had committed to introduce import controls on EU goods in the new year, but ministers are now expected to adopt a more flexible approach due to the pandemic.

A government source said: "We recognise the impact that coronavirus has had on UK businesses, and as we take back control of our laws and our borders at the end of this year, we will take a pragmatic and flexible approach to help business adjust to the changes and opportunities of being outside the single market and the customs union."

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has repeatedly insisted he will not ask for an extension to the transition period, despite businesses and critics warning of the dangers of a departure without a trade agreement in place.

A virtual summit between Mr Johnson and EU chief Ursula von der Leyen to try to break the deadlock in trade negotiations has been scheduled for Monday.

A virtual summit is set to take place between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen

The negotiating teams have also agreed to "an intensified timetable" for July with possible discussions in person if public health guidelines enable them during the coronavirus pandemic.

European Council president Charles Michel and the president of the European Parliament, David-Maria Sassoli will also join the political talks.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "The UK and the EU have agreed an intensified timetable for trade negotiations in July.

"This new process will involve a mix of formal negotiating rounds and smaller group meetings, both in London and Brussels assuming public health guidelines enable this."

The pace of talks will be scaled up so negotiators will meet in each of the five weeks between 29 June and 27 July, the spokesman said.

The new details came after the fourth round of negotiations failed to reach a breakthrough last week.

In the Dáil, Minister of State for European Affairs Helen McEntee said there is a level of frustration in the EU about the position being taken by the UK.