A man who sued for damages after being abused by a childcare worker when he was in an industrial school in the late 1960s, has said it was "normal" for him to go to school drunk.

60-year-old Raymond Noctor was speaking on RTÉ's Liveline programme. He was awarded €370,000 damages and costs at the High Court in 2005.

Mr Noctor said he was given the option 18 months ago to receive compensation from the State's Residential Institutions Redress Board or to take his case to the High Court.

He explained the level of abuse he suffered while at St Joseph's Industrial School, Kilkenny, in the 1970s.

He said David Murray, who was a childcare worker at the school from 1972-1981, received a ten-year sentence in 1997 after he admitted to carrying out the abuse.

Mr Noctor said, in later life, he has made several attempts to take his own life.

He gave an example of the scale of abuse he experienced when he was nine years old.

"I was brought out in the middle of the night. I couldn't tell the time, I think it was about three in the morning.  It was lashing rain, and I was in my pyjamas, in my bare feet.  He brought me to a cabbage plant and was made dig it up with a spade that I could barely hold. I was a very small, thin little thing.  

He continued: "I was made dig the hole, for hours and hours. I got as far as my waist and that was when he told me that if I ever tell anyone what is going on, that that is where I'm going.  I laid there for most of the night until he brought me in and put me in a bath of cold water".

Mr Noctor went on to outline harrowing details of the abuse he suffered at the hands of David Murray. 

He added: "After that he locked me in a locker for the night and the following morning he gave me a glass of wine and cigar and off I went to school drunk.  After I came home from school that evening he gave me a beating with a hurl and he broke my jaw and my nose.

Mr Noctor explained that his mother died when he was seven years old and his care was entrusted to the state after his father was refused custody of his children, despite his efforts to keep his children in his care.

He said he has "not had much contact" with his father in his adult life. 

"I was so glad I went to the High Court because I got the chance for a judge to listen to me."

Mr Noctor had sued the State, the Minister for Education, St Joseph's Industrial School, Kilkenny, the South Eastern Health Board and the Minister for Health.

Liability was admitted for gross indecency and assault perpetrated against Mr Noctor, and the then president of the High Court, Mr Justice Joseph Finnegan, was asked to assess damages only.

Mr Noctor has since visited Mr Murray in prison.

"I went to visit him. It was a short, quick visit. I was full of fear. He was looking down at the ground the whole time.  

"I didn't threaten him. All I said was 'You'll be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life. I won't be."