China today raised the death toll from its coronavirus outbreak to more than 900, passing the number killed globally by the SARS epidemic, as authorities made plans for millions of people returning to work after an extended Lunar New Year break.

The latest data came after the World Health Organisation said the last four days had seen "some stabilising" in Hubei, but warned the figures could still "shoot up".

At least 39,800 people in China have now been infected by the virus, believed to have emerged late last year in Hubei's capital Wuhan, where residents are struggling to get daily supplies.

Many of China's usually teeming cities have almost become ghost towns during the past two weeks as Chinese authorities ordered virtual lockdowns, cancelled flights, closed factories and shut schools.

A large number of workplaces and schools will remain closed on Monday and many white-collar employees will work from home.

The scale of the potential hit to an economy that has been the engine of global growth in recent years has taken a toll on financial markets.

Shares have slumped and investors have switched into safe-havens such as gold, bonds and the Japanese yen.

China's cabinet said today it would coordinate with transport authorities to ensure the smooth return to work of employees in key industries such as food and medicines.

The State Council's special coronavirus group also said workers should return in "batches", rather than all at once, in order to reduce infection risks.

China's ambassador to Britain described the newly identified virus as "the enemy of mankind" in an interview with BBC today, but added it "is controllable, is preventable, is curable".

"At this moment is very difficult to predict when we are going to have an inflection point," Liu Xiaoming said.

"We certainly hope it will come soon, but the isolation and quarantine measures have been very effective," he added.

China's National Health Commission recorded another 89 deaths on Saturday, pushing the total well above the 774 who died from SARS, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome in 2002/2003.

Total confirmed coronavirus cases in China stood at 37,198, commission data showed.


Read more
Fourth person tests positive for coronavirus in UK

 


New infections recorded the first drop since February 1, falling back below 3,000 to 2,656 cases. Of those, 2,147 cases were in Hubei province, the epicentre of theoutbreak.

The virus has also spread to at least 27 countries and regions, according to a Reuters count based on official reports, infecting more than 330 people.

Two deaths have also been reported outside mainland China - both of Chinese nationals.

Authorities had told businesses to add up to 10 extra days on to holidays that had been due to finish at the end of January and some restrictions continued.

Gaming giant Tencent Holdings said today it had asked staff to continue working from home until February 21.

Hebei province, which surrounds Beijing, will keep schools shut until March 1, the People's Daily newspaper said. Several provinces have shut schools until the end of February.

The local government in the southern manufacturing hub of Shenzhen, meanwhile, denied a report in the Nikkei business daily that it had blocked a plan by Apple supplier Foxconn Technology to resume production in China from tomorrow.

The company would restart once inspections were completed, it said. 

Among the latest deaths, 81 were in Hubei. 

An American hospitalised in the provincial capital Wuhan, where the outbreak began, became the first confirmed non-Chinese victim. 

He has been identified him as Hong Ling, a 53-year old geneticist who studied rare diseases at Berkeley. 

Joseph Eisenberg, professor of epidemiology at the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan, said it was tooearly to say whether the epidemic was peaking. 

"Even if reported cases might be peaking, we don't know wha tis happening with unreported cases," he said.

Major cities and capitals announced new travel restrictions as concern over the spread of the virus increased.

Chinese-ruled Hong Kong introduced a two-week quarantine on Saturday for all people arriving from the mainland, or who have been there during the previous 14 days. 

Malaysia expanded its ban on visitors from China. 

France issued a new travel advisory for its citizens, saying it did not recommend travelling to China unless there was an"imperative" reason. 

Italy asked children travelling from China to stay away from school for two weeks voluntarily. 

The latest patients outside China include five British nationals staying in a mountain village in Haute-Savoie in the Alps, French health officials said, raising fears of further infections at a busy period in the ski season. 

Princess Cruises, operator of the Diamond Princess cruise ship quarantined off the coast of Japan, said a further six people had tested positive, bringing the total cases aboard to 70.

WHO advance team on coronavirus on way to China

An advance team of international experts led by the World Health Organization (WHO) has left forBeijing to help investigate China's coronavirus epidemic.

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who made a trip to Beijing for talks with President Xi Jinping and Chinese ministers in late January, returned with an agreement on sending an international mission.

But it has taken nearly two weeks to get the government's green light on its composition, which was not announced, other than to say that WHO veteran Dr. Bruce Aylward, a Canadian epidemiologist and emergencies expert, was heading it.