Protesters in Indonesia's easternmost region of Papua set buildings on fire today, forcing the state power firm to cut off electricity in some districts.

Police fired tear gas to disperse demonstrators who also set fire to cars and threw stones at shops and offices, state news agency Antara said. Protesters also torched a local parliament office.

"Several public facilities and properties were damaged by rioters," national police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo said.

The region has been racked by civil unrest for two weeks over perceived racial and ethnic discrimination.

Some protesters are also demanding an independence vote - a move ruled out by the security minister.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo called for calm on this evening, telling reporters he had ordered "firm action against anarchist and racist actions". He promised to further develop Papua.

During the riot in Jayapura, the protesters torched a building housing the offices of state-controlled telecoms firm Telekomunikasi Indonesia.

The company said in a statement it could not assess the full damage yet.

State energy firm Pertamina shut several petrol stations in Jayapura because of the protest, Pertamina spokesman Fajriyah Usman said.

National military spokesman Major General Sisriadi said more than 1,000 people had taken part in the protest.

Shooting broke out a day earlier between protesters and police in the town of Deiyai, about 500 km  from Jayapura, Papua's capital.

Police said one soldier and two civilians were killed in the incident, while a separatist group said six had been shot dead. The military dismissed that as a hoax.

Police have deployed 300 mobile brigade personnel to the towns of Deiyai, Paniai and Jayapura after Wednesday's incident, media quoted police chief Tito Karnavian as saying.

A separatist movement has simmered for decades in Papua, while there have also been frequent complaints of rights abuses by Indonesian security forces.

The spark for the latest unrest was a racist slur against Papuan students, who were hit by tear gas in their dormitory and detained in the city of Surabaya on the main island of Java on 17 August, Indonesia's Independence Day, for allegedly desecrating a national flag.

Papua and West Papua provinces, the resource-rich western part of the island of New Guinea, were a Dutch colony that was incorporated into Indonesia after a widely criticised U.N.-backed referendum in 1969.

The chief security minister Mr Wiranto said the government would not entertain any demand for an independence vote, according to

"Demands for a referendum, I think, is out of place. Demands for referendum I think must not be mentioned. Why? Because the unity of the Republic of Indonesia is final," Mr Wiranto said, cited by the news website.

The government has cut internet access in the region since last week to stop people sharing "provocative" messages that could trigger more violence.