An alleged IRA member will be sentenced later this week for raping and sexually assaulting two teenage boys in what was described as a republican safe house in the early 1990s.

Seamus Marley, 45, originally from the Ardoyne area of Belfast, but with an address at Belfield Court, Stillorgan Road in Dublin 4, was found guilty by a jury last month of six counts of sexual assault and two counts of rape in relation to the two boys.

One of the victims told the court that Marley preyed on him, groomed him and ruined him during his most important years.

He said that when he later found himself in a psychiatric hospital and rang someone from Sinn Féin to get him out to get the help he needed, he knew he was on his own.

The man told the court it had taken longer than it should have to get to this point, and that people with power sought to protect their own interests.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

But he said "if you are right and truthful, keep shouting", as eventually someone will listen.

The other victim said he had lived in a mental state of despair for 27 years over what had happened. But he said there would be no more sleepless nights. He said he was taking his life back.

The court was told that most of the abuse happened in a house where IRA volunteers would be brought in the 1980s and 1990s and stayed for a few days or weeks.

The first man said he looked up to Marley as a "big brother figure". But he said Marley began abusing him when he was 13 or 14 years old.

He said Marley had introduced alcohol to the house and given it to him. He said he did not think anyone would believe him if he complained.

The second man told the court he had been abused by Marley beginning when he was 17 years old. He said he was told by Marley that he could be found dead on a border road if he told anyone.

Detective Garda Seamus Nolan told the court Marley came from a large Catholic, republican family in the Ardoyne area of Belfast. His father was shot dead by loyalist paramilitaries, when Marley was in his teens.

He has no previous convictions and Detective Garda Nolan told the trial that gardaí had no intelligence that he was involved in any paramilitary organisation until the complainants came forward with their allegations.

Marley gave evidence in his own defence and denied the allegations.

His lawyers handed in a number of testimonials describing him as an "active and dedicated Christian" who was involved in a considerable amount of voluntary work.

Defence Counsel John Fitzgerald urged the court to sentence his client as he was now.

Mr Justice Paul McDermott said he would sentence Marley, who was remanded in custody after his conviction, on Thursday morning.