A 32-year-old man has been remanded in custody charged with the murder of a Belfast community worker earlier this year.

Ian Ogle, 45, died after being stabbed 11 times shortly after praying with a pastor near his home in Cluan Place in east Belfast on 27 January.

Glenn Rainey, from McArthur Court, was arrested at Manchester Airport on Sunday after arriving on a flight from Thailand.

Belfast Magistrates' Court heard he left for Thailand the day after the murder, on a flight from Dublin paid for with cash, without any luggage, in the company of a man who has since also been charged with murder.

A defence bid to challenge the grounds on which police charged Mr Rainey was rejected by District Judge Peter King.

The judge said he was "absolutely satisfied" there was a "reasonable suspicion" to justify connecting the accused with the charge.

He also rejected Mr Rainey's bid for bail, concurring with the prosecution assessment that he represented a flight risk.

There was a heavy police presence inside the court with the public gallery was packed for the 75-minute hearing.

Relatives of Mr Ogle were among those who watched proceedings.

Mr Rainey, who appeared in the dock dressed in a grey and navy sweater, is the second man charged with murdering Mr Ogle.

Jonathan Brown, 33, also of McArthur Court, was remanded in custody last month.

Meanwhile, there were angry scenes outside the court building as supporters of Mr Rainey and Mr Ogle shouted at each other.

Armed police intervened to prevent the stand-off escalating.

Earlier, the court was shown CCTV footage of a man with a scarf covering his face walking from the murder scene.

A PSNI detective inspector said police believe the individual "very calmly walking away" was Mr Rainey.

She said mobile traffic on Rainey's phone and location data from telephone masts in the area also provided evidence of his involvement.

The PSNI officer said the murder was linked to a long-running feud between the Ogle family and a group in men in east Belfast, stemming from a physical altercation in the summer of 2017.

She said that on the night of the incident Mr Ogle and his son had been in a fight with a cousin of the family outside a chip shop on the Beersbridge Road.

In the wake of that incident, co-accused Jonathan Brown organised a group of men to carry out a "reprisal attack" on Mr Ogle, she said.

The officer told the court that Mr Rainey was one of the men who subsequently accompanied Mr Brown to Cluan Place to commit the murder.