Pearly Fernandez Potot, the mother of the Irish-Filipino family caught up in the Barcelona terror attack, has told RTÉ News she hopes the family will be discharged from hospital on Monday.

Over 100 people were injured after drivers slammed into pedestrians in two separate attacks on Barcelona's most popular street, Las Ramblas, and in the seaside city of Cambrils.

The family is waiting for the results of a CT scan that her husband Norman has undergone following his head injury when he was struck by the van on Las Ramblas.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Her son Nathaniel is "doing well" following an operation on his leg yesterday morning.

The family had travelled to Barcelona to celebrate Nathaniel's seventh birthday, earlier this week.

Mrs Fernandez Potot's daughter Nailah is recovering from a broken arm.  Mrs Fernandez Potot also suffered serious bruising to her legs.

She said that Nathaniel, who suffered a broken femur in the attack, was "feeling better" and that he could move more freely in bed, although he is still not yet walking around.


Read more:


The family received a visit earlier today from Spain's King Felipe and Queen Letizia.

The royal couple spent time with the Potot family in hospital where they spoke with Norman and Pearly and their children.