The Department of Education has said widespread closure of schools is expected from Monday as members of the Association of Secondary Teachers in Ireland are set to withdraw from supervision and substitution duties.

In a statement this evening, the Department said that following discussions with the union this week and last week a further meeting is scheduled for tomorrow.

The Department also said it has remained in regular contact with the school management bodies on contingency arrangements ahead of the withdrawal of supervision and substitution from 7 November.

According to the Department, around 400 schools will close on Monday on health and safety grounds, affecting some 200,000 students.

Earlier the ASTI confirmed that 17,500 of its members will withdraw from supervision and substitution duties from Monday.

The union has said it would continue to engage in talks with the Department of Education in the hopes of finding a resolution.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

In a statement, ASTI President Ed Byrne said: "Expecting ASTI members to undertake supervision and substitution work for no pay while their colleagues in other teacher unions are receiving a payment is unacceptable."

He said that a withdrawal from work as a result was "inevitable".

In its statement, the Department outlined the deal on offer to ASTI members.

It says that under the proposed deal for new teachers, which is being implemented for the Irish National Teachers' Organisation and the Teachers' Union of Ireland, the starting pay will increase by 15% between 31 August 2016 and 1 January 2018 (from €31,009 to €35,602).

It also said that teachers with longer service will benefit too, giving the example of a teacher with 11 years service seeing her/his pay increase by 9% from August 2016 to January 2018 - from €45,222 to €49,436.

The Department said "these deals which have been done restore approximately three quarters of the reductions for new entrants put in place since 2011".

Minister for Education Richard Bruton has said the dispute is "unnecessary" and the Department pointed out that both issues in the dispute "have been dealt with for other unions".

The Department called on the ASTI to "engage in meaningful talks in order to resolve the dispute".