The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has said it is considering enforcement action against a number of retailers selling hoverboards.

Speaking on RTE’s News at One, the commission's Director of Communications Fergal O'Leary said it is aware that there are hoverboards on sale that do not meet safety standards.

He said that the onus is on retailers in Ireland to ensure that the products they sell are safe.

The commission said it has found issues with non-compliant plugs and fuses, issues with cables, chargers and battery packs.

Mr O'Leary said if any of these things fail, there is a risk of fire. He said if consumers wish to purchase a hoverboard, they should check that it bears the CE mark.

He said they should also check the box for traceable information such as manufacturers' details.

"We are doing whatever we can to stop at the point of entry, in the ports, these products coming on the market, or indeed we're stopping retailers from selling them.

"But, in the meantime and in the rush before Christmas, consumers need to be on their guard, because these are big devices, there's a lot of battery power in them, and if you're not satisfied that its safe, unfortunately you might disappoint somebody, but you should away because you don't want to bring one of these that isn't compliant into your home."

Earlier, Argos confirmed that it has withdrawn hoverboards for sale while it carries out tests to see if they conform to Irish safety standards. 

In a statement, the retailer said it takes customer safety extremely seriously. 

It said: "Due to concerns raised by Trading Standards in relation to hoverboards from a range of manufacturing sources, we have decided to undertake additional testing on our Nevaboard product, which we sell exclusively in the Republic of Ireland.

"While we undertake these checks, we have temporarily withdrawn the Nevaboard from sale.

"Should any customer be concerned about their product, they can return it to their nearest Argos store for a full refund."

It comes as online retailer Amazon advised anyone who bought a hoverboard from its website with unsafe plugs to throw them away.

It has sent two separate emails, the first to customers who bought hoverboards with non-compliant plugs.

The email reads: "We've received information that your order purchased through the Amazon.co.uk website is unsafe for use as this product is supplied with a non-compliant UK plug."

The email says these customers should dispose of the boards at a recycling centre, adding that they will receive a full refund.

It says: "We regret the inconvenience this may cause you but trust you will understand that your safety and satisfaction is our highest priority."

Another email sent to all others who bought the boards warns that UK Trading Standards has raised concerns about their safety, in particular their rechargeable lithium batteries and plugs, and includes a link to safety tips.

It asks anyone who would rather not keep the product to contact Amazon customer service.

Last month, 1,400 hoverboards were turned away from Ireland over fears they could burst into flames.

The consignment of the two-wheeled, hands-free electric scooters was seized at Dublin Port.

The self-balancing gadgets can cost upwards of €350 and have been banned in a number of cities worldwide.

While not yet banned in Ireland, authorities have "significant safety concerns" over their use.