Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said that Ireland's security is at a normal response level and there is no information that any attack is either planned for Ireland or being planned here.

Speaking on RTÉ's Sunday with Miriam, Mr Kenny said the National Security Committee has met and has shared information from gardaí, the Defence Forces and the departments of Justice and Foreign Affairs.

Mr Kenny said that given the kinds of terrorist attacks that have been carried out recently it is very hard to determine what will happen in any country, but Ireland has a sophisticated response unit were anything to occur.

"We hope and pray that nothing from these terrorist organisations is being planned, but we don't have any information" that anything is being planned for Ireland, he said.

The Taoiseach said a garda is stationed permanently at the Irish Embassy in Paris who attends security meetings and liaises with police forces around Europe and beyond "and so far as that's concerned things are at a normal response level in Ireland”.

"We don't have any information to the effect that anything is either planned for this country or being planned in this country," added Mr Kenny.

Mr Kenny described the Paris attacks as "an appalling terrorist attack on humanity".

He said the stories of those caught up in the attacks show just how the lives of "very ordinary people going about their enjoyment of a weekend, having that destruction and senseless, ruthless killing imposed on them speaks for itself".

Meanwhile, the Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald has said there is a "comprehensive review underway" into whether gardaí and the Defence Forces are adequately resourced to deal with potential terror threats.

Speaking on RTÉ's This Week, the minister described Friday's attacks in Paris as unprecedented, saying such atrocities presented a huge challenge for Europe.

She said the key to preventing similiar incidents lay in ensuring that security forces and intelligence agencies gathered and shared as much information as possible. 

The minister said she was, at present, satisfied that gardaí and the Defence Forces were doing "what they needed to do" in relation to intelligence gathering and exchange of information.

She said she believed they currently had "resources commensurate with the threat we face in this country", but that the situation was always under review.

Ms Fitzgerald said the threat level here had not been reassessed, adding that the Government believed it "possible but unlikely that Ireland would be the focus of a direct attack".

However, she said she believed that "more resources would be needed in this area so that all countries can work more effectively together".