At least 85 people were killed at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, as well as several others in locations around the city following an unprecedented wave of simultaneous terror attacks.  

Several people were killed in a number of gun attacks across the city. Police stormed the Bataclan concert hall where scores of civilians were held hostage. Around 85 people died in the concert hall siege.

A number of militants were killed during the police operation at the concert hall.

French President Francois Hollande travelled to the concert hall after the siege ended with France's Prime Minister Manuel Valls, as well as the interior and justice ministers.   

Elsewhere, several people were killed in a number of separate gun attacks. At least 200 other people have been injured, 80 of them seriously.

At least two explosions also occurred near the Stade de France where France were playing Germany in an international football friendly.

Earlier, Mr Hollande called an emergency cabinet meeting on the attacks. 

In a statement, he said: "Terrorists want us to be scared. In [the] face of terror we must be united. We will vanquish these terrorists."

President Michael D Higgins said this evening: "I have been shocked to learn of and view the images of the terrible events unfolding in Paris this evening."

Taoiseach Enda Kenny also responded to the attacks.

Earlier, the Department of Foreign Affairs said they are actively monitoring the situation and those who wish to register concern can contact 014082000.

The Irish embassy in Paris also issued a telephone number for people to contact if they have any concerns.

1,500 extra soldiers have been deployed to Paris after the attacks.

Western security sources said they suspected an Islamist militant group was behind the carnage.

At least two explosions were heard near the Stade de France national stadium where the France-Germany friendly soccer match was being played, attended by Mr Hollande.

The match continued until the end but panic broke out in the crowd as rumours of the attack spread.

Spectators were held in the stadium and assembled spontaneously on the pitch. 

There were reports of possibly as many as four shootings in central Paris, one of which turned into the hostage-taking situation.

Eyewitness Ben Grant said he was in a bar with his wife when the gunshots were fired and he had seen six or seven bodies on the ground.

He told the BBC: "I was told people in cars had opened fire on the bar.

"There are lots of dead people. It's pretty horrific to be honest."

"I was at the back of the bar. I couldn't see anything.

"I heard gunshots. People dropped to the ground. We put a table over our heads to protect us.

"We were held up in the bar because there was a pile of bodies in front of us."

The attacks come almost a year after the Charlie Hebdo atrocity, which took place in January and saw 12 people killed after gunmen stormed the offices of the satirical magazine.

In June, France launched a terrorism investigation after police found a decapitated body in a gas factory in the south-eastern city of Lyon.

And two months later three Americans and one Briton were awarded medals for bravery after they overpowered a heavily armed gunman on a train in France.