A coroner has warned about the dangers of people cooking with chip pans late at night while under the influence of alcohol following the death of a teenager in a house fire in Cork.

Evan Kidney, 17, died at his grandmother's house at Elm Vale in Wilton in Cork on 19 October 2014.

The Coroner's Court was told that he died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation during a house fire.

Toxicology tests found that he had carbon monoxide levels of 67% in his blood - well above the fatal limit of 50%.

He also had an alcohol concentration of 197mgs per 100mgs of blood which Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margot Bolster said would have had a strong sedative effect on him due to his age.

Dr Bolster told the Coroner for South Cork, Frank O'Connell, that Evan would have slipped into unconsciousness and would not have suffered when he was overcome by fumes after the chip pan in the kitchen caught fire.

Mr O'Connell said he had come across four such cases in his time as a coroner. 

Clearly, he said, there is a great danger if people come home late at night and decide to cook chips in a chip pan while under the influence of alcohol.

Evan, who was from the Lower Pouladuff Road in Cork, was found in the kitchen of his grandmother's house by his brother Dylan, who raised the alarm.

Mr O'Connell extended his deepest sympathies to Evan’s mother Siobhan, brothers Aaron and Dylan, grandmother Kathleen, and other relatives on their tragic loss.