Ukraine's president has offered parts of the country's separatist east limited self-rule for three years under the terms of a peace plan reached with Russia.

Petro Poroshenko's official website said the pro-Western leader told top lawmakers the proposal would be part of a broader deal with pro-Russian rebels signed on 5 September.

He intended to formally submit it to parliament on Tuesday.

The bill also extends the right of people in the rebel-held Luhansk and Donetsk regions to use Russian in state institutions and conduct local elections on 9 November, according to media reports.

The bill further permits the regions to "strengthen good neighbourly relations" between local authorities and their counterparts in Russia.

It protects from criminal prosecution "participants of events in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions" - appearing to apply to both the insurgents and Ukrainian government troops - and allows regional councils to appoint local judges and prosecutors.

The bill also promises to help restore damaged infrastructure and to provide social an economic assistance to particularly hard-hit areas.

Mr Poroshenko had promised to offer parts of the war-torn industrial east broader autonomy under the terms of the truce agreed earlier this month with the Russian government and two separatist leaders.

He urged parliamentary faction leaders to quickly back his efforts to end five months of fighting that have killed more than 2,700 people and forced more than half a million from their homes.

Mr Poroshenko said his proposals guaranteed "the sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence of our state".

The presidential website said the three years of limited self-rule would give his government a chance to implement "deep-rooted decentralisation, which will be the subject of corresponding constitutional changes".

Six killed in shelling in Donetsk

Meanwhile, six people were killed in shelling in Donetsk, according to multiple authorities, putting further strain on the 10-day ceasefire.

The shelling reportedly took place on Sunday despite the ceasefire which has brought some respite in the conflict.

Separately, a military spokesman in Kiev said some Ukrainian troops had died over the weekend and that 73 soldiers had been freed in an exchange with the rebels.

On Saturday particularly heavy fighting was reported around Donetsk airport, which remains under government control.

Today the rebels’ main leader accused Ukrainian forces of violating the truce repeatedly and suggested it could not hold much longer.

"I do not see the sense in (further) consultations. There have to be measures which must first be undertaken and then consultations can take place," Alexander Zakharchenko told reporters in Donetsk.

"There is no ceasefire. There is no exchange of prisoners..." he said.

Last month government forces tightened their grip on Donetsk, a major industrial hub with a pre-war population of about one million, however they suffered serious losses east and south-east of the city causing Kiev to accuse Russia of directly intervening to support the rebels.

Russia denies charges that it has sent troops into Ukraine and armed rebels with ammunition.

Donetsk city council said two northern districts of the city were shelled on Sunday, damaging homes and public buildings. 

"As a result of the shelling, six civilians were killed and 15 people were wounded..." it said.

An OSCE statement said four shells had exploded about 200metres from a monitoring team which had driven in marked vehicles to a Donetsk market place where there had been earlier reports of shelling.

None of the OSCE team was injured.