Iarnród Éireann and the National Bus and Railworkers’ Union have accepted an invitation from the Labour Relations Commission to attend exploratory talks on resolving an industrial dispute.
In a statement, Iarnród Éireann confirmed that management would attend the talks tomorrow.
The NBRU also issued a statement confirming representatives would attend.
NBRU General Secretary Dermot O’Leary said: "We understand that this invitation is designed to establish if there is a basis for further discussions around a more comprehensive agenda rather than one which has a disproportionate focus on our members’ wages, we will engage with the commission on this basis."
Earlier this week, rail travel for thousands of passengers, including GAA fans and tens of thousands of commuters, was disrupted by strike action by members of the NBRU and SIPTU.
Commuter, DART and Intercity rail services were suspended on Sunday and Monday in a dispute over temporary pay cuts at Iarnród Éireann, which were imposed on Sunday.
Three other unions at the company have accepted the cuts of between 1.7% and 1.6%.
Speaking following today’s LRC intervention, Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Paschal Donohoe TD, said: "I welcome the fact that the LRC has intervened at this time and that the invitations to talks have been accepted by the parties to the Irish Rail dispute."
"As I have maintained, the LRC is the appropriate forum in which discussions can, and should, take place, and am hopeful of positive outcome."