People are being urged to use local authority manned lifeguarded bathing places to avoid one of the most venomous jellyfish in our waters.
Irish Water Safety CEO John leech said the Lions mane Jellyfish has been spotted in Sutton, Co Dublin.
The Portuguese man-o-war jellyfish, which can also inflict a very painful sting, was reported in Wexford and Waterford last Tuesday.
The warning comes as one young girl was taken to hospital after suffering an allergic reaction to a jellyfish sting at Barleycove beach in west Cork yesterday.
“Due to the high temperatures in our waters, the prevailing westerly winds and the north Atlantic current, these potentially dangerous jellyfish are likely to appear on more of our beaches in the coming weeks”, added Irish Water Safety CEO John leech.
Irish Water Safety has more information on jellyfish and how to treat stings on its website.