A march took place in Dublin this afternoon, in support of workers at refuse collection company, Greyhound who are in dispute with management over plans to cut their wages by up to 35%.

This evening Dublin City Councillors voted to open council waste facilities free of charge for householders affected by the dispute,

However, City Manager Owen Keegan said this was not possible because of serious implications for the budget. 

Earlier, the chief executive of Greyhound urged workers who are in dispute to return to work under the Labour Court recommendation.

Speaking on RTÉ's News At One, Michael Buckley said there are jobs for those in dispute under the recommendation, which is 10% above the industry average wage.

He said that when Greyhound acquired the business from Dublin City Council it inherited legacy terms and conditions that are totally out of sync with the industry.

Workers who have been in dispute since June say they have effectively been locked out and clocking-in will mean accepting the new terms.

Mr Buckley said the recommendation follows more than five months of discussions.

He said the company is implementing a collective bargaining agreement, which both Greyhound and SIPTU had signed up to.

However, SIPTU organiser Henry O'Shea said management at Greyhound breached agreements with staff by leaving them unable to attend work without conceding to new wage rates.

Speaking on the same programme, Mr O'Shea said that by staff clocking-in to work meant that they were automatically accepting new terms and conditions imposed by management.

Mr O'Shea said: "The main issue was the 35% pay cuts.

"On the morning the lads were given an ultimatum, here are your terms and conditions, they were told that by default if you clocked in you accept the new terms and conditions.

"When they weren't prepared to accept, they weren't able to clock in either.

"So while the company would have you believe that we are not sticking to the collective agreement it was in fact the company that breached the collective agreement in the first instance," he added.

In a statement Greyhound rejected that collection staff have been locked out of their jobs.