Injunction proceedings were formally lodged at the High Court today aimed at preventing any of the Garth Brooks shows from going ahead at Croke Park later this month.
The proceedings have been brought in the name of Brian Duff, whose solicitor is named as Anthony Fay, the solicitor acting for some residents of the Croke Park area.
The case is against Aiken Promotions (Ireland) Ltd and Páirc an Chrócaigh Teoranta.
The orders that have been sought include injunctions preventing the holding of the three shows that had secured approval from Dublin City Council.
Permission for two additional gigs was refused by the council.
No further details of the proceedings are available to date, but the filing of the documents suggests an application may be made either tomorrow or later this week.
Meanwhile, Dublin City Council manager Owen Keegan has told councillors that it is not legally possible to change the decision on the concerts.
Speaking at the monthly meeting, Mr Keegan said the council was obliged to follow statutory procedures and he is satisfied that the appropriate decision was made.
He said changes in the licensing system should be considered to restrict the sale of tickets in advance of a licence.
Lord Mayor Cllr Christy Burke said three days of talks with promoter Peter Aiken, the GAA and mediator Kieran Mulvey had failed to find a solution.
"[Mr Keegan] made it very clear that the three concerts that's been awarded to Garth Brooks and Aiken promoters is where it stands and there is no room for flexibility, no room for adding to those three," Mr Burke said.
"Everything under the sun has been discussed and debated with the manager by representatives from all sides."
Cllr Burke said he had been told that a ship carrying the concert stage equipment was due to sail tonight and that unless there was agreement for five concerts then there would be none.
Cllrs call for five concerts to go ahead
Despite Mr Keegan's comments, Dublin City councillors voted narrowly in favour of calling for five concerts to go ahead.
A Sinn Féin motion calling on Mr Keegan to review the conditions as a way of reversing the decision to cancel two of the concerts was carried by 28 votes to 27 with three abstentions.
A motion from six Fianna Fáil members calling on the manager to reverse his decision was tied at 26 votes with five abstentions.
Councillors voted in favour of motions for an alternative venue to be found.
Earlier, a petition from 900 residents mainly from the Ballybough area calling for all five concerts to go ahead was handed in to the meeting.
Croke Park residents cancel protest over concerts
A planned protest by some Croke Park residents outside Dublin City Hall this evening was cancelled on the basis that a decision has already been made.
A spokesman for Stop Croke Park Concert Madness Group, which represents some residents in the area, said as far as it is concerned the matter has been decided.
Spokesman Colm Stephens said: "We wanted none and we got three. The promoters wanted five and they got three."
A decision will be made by tomorrow on whether any of the planned concerts at Croke Park will go ahead.
Mr Brooks has said that if he cannot play all five concerts he will play none at all.
Speculation is mounting that the country singer is set to announce his first world tour in 13 years.
An announcement that was expected to be posted today on his website has not appeared.
Instead, a press conference will be streamed live at 5pm Irish time on Thursday.
In 2001, Mr Brooks announced a retirement that he said would last until the youngest of his daughters was ready for college.
He has occasionally performed but he has not done a full-on tour.