Bomb attack leaves 15 dead in Somalia

Sunday 08 September 2013 09.21
In September 2012 two suicide bombers hit the same restaurant, killing at least 15 people
In September 2012 two suicide bombers hit the same restaurant, killing at least 15 people

A car bomb and suspected suicide bomber have struck a popular restaurant in Somali capital Mogadishu, killing at least 15 people.

The Village Restaurant is owned by well-known Somali businessman Ahmed Jama.

Mr Jama had returned to his home country from London to set up business against the advice of friends.

Al Shabaab insurgents have claimed responsibility for the attack.

Spokesman for al Shabaab military operations, Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab said "We are behind today's blasts, Government officials, military forces, workers and their security always meet here. We had targeted it even before today and we shall continue targeting it."

In September last year two suicide bombers hit the same restaurant, killing at least 15 people.

Mohamed Yusuf, spokesman for the Mogadishu authorities, said that after the car bomb went off, a suicide bomber immediately blew himself up in the restaurant.

The blast underscored the ongoing security threats in Mogadishu, despite the withdrawal by Islamist militant group al Shabaab from the city in 2011 under military pressure.

Keywords: mogadishu
User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use