Praveen Halappanavar’s solicitor has told RTÉ he is "very pleased" with the lengthy meeting this evening with the chairman of the Health Service Executive's clinical review into the death of Savita Halappanavar.

Gerard O'Donnell said the chairman, Professor Sabaratnam Arulkumaran, had reviewed the transcripts from the coroner's inquest into the death of Mrs Halappanavar.

He said Prof Arulkumaran had indicated that the recommendations made by the coroner are substantially embodied in the final draft HSE report.

Mr O'Donnell said he is satisfied that having heard what the chairman had to say and wants to achieve, that if the recommendations from the report are implemented, what happened to Mrs Halappanavar will not happen again to another woman in Ireland.

In a statement, the HSE said that the priority now is for the investigation team to complete their process and deliver the final report as swiftly as possible.

A spokesperson for the HSE West said they could not comment on queries relating to the implementation of specific recommendations from the coroner's inquest regarding Galway University Hospital until the clinical review report is completed.

The HSE also said that the HIQA investigation and the HSE's National Incident Management Team processes have not yet concluded and it would not be making further comment until they are complete.

The HSE earlier said that its investigation into the death of Mrs Halappanavar will be finalised as soon as is practicably possible.

It says that the most recent draft report was completed on the 28 March.

The HSE said that significant work has been undertaken to improve the safety of maternity services in Ireland and these will go a long way towards dealing with the issues identified by the HSE report and the nine recommendations from the coroner's inquest.

These measures include the National Early Warning Score and the Irish Maternity Early Warning System.

The HSE says it will also consider the recommendations of the HIQA investigation when it is completed.

Today's long-awaited meeting followed the outcome of an eight-day inquest into Mrs Halappanavar's death last month.

A jury returned a verdict of medical misadventure and made nine recommendations.

Mrs Halappanavar died at Galway University Hospital on 28 October last year.