The second suspect of the Boston Marathon bombs is under armed guard in a hospital in Boston.

The 19-year-old suspect was shot in the throat and has tongue damage.

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick said that: "He's not yet able to speak." 

Police in Boston have said that early indications suggest that the suspects in the Boston Marathon Bombings acted alone.

The mother of the two suspected marathon bombers has said that she believes her sons are innocent.

Zubeidat Tsarnaeva told Russia Today that she believed that her sons had been framed.

Elsewhere, there were scenes of relief and jubilation in Boston after police captured one of the men suspected of carrying out the Boston Marathon bombings.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was caught after an intense day-long manhunt that closed down the city and turned a suburb into a virtual armed camp.

Armoured vehicles roamed the streets of Watertown and helicopters flew overhead throughout the day.

Residents and police officers cheered and clapped when the suspect was caught after an exchange of gunfire with police.

Mr Tsarnaev had been hiding in the stern of a boat parked in the backyard of a house in Watertown.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said the capture followed a tip-off from a local resident, who saw blood on the boat.

Dzhokhar's capture came almost 24 hours after his brother, Tamerlan, 26, was killed in a shootout with police.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Russia asked the FBI to investigate Boston Marathon bomb suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011.

The FBI said yesterday that it had interviewed Mr Tsarnaev, following a tip from a foreign government two years ago.

The organisation said it had conducted checks of travel records, Internet activity and personal associations, "did not find any terrorism activity" at that time.

Mr Tsarnaev, 26, was killed on Thursday in a shootout with police.

US President Barack Obama told reporters at the White House after the suspect's capture that questions remained from the bombings, including whether the two suspects received any help.

Monday's bombing has been described by Mr Obama as "an act of terrorism".

The Boston Police Department said in a message on Twitter: "CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody."

The brothers are believed to have set off bombs made in pressure cookers and packed with ball bearings and nails at the finish line of the world-famous event, killing three people and injuring 176.

The FBI had publicised pictures of the two men on Thursday and asked the public for help in identifying them.

Hours after the photos were released, a furious sequence of events erupted, including the fatal shooting of a police officer on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The night culminated in a firefight in Watertown during which police say the brothers threw bombs at officers.

Tamerlan suffered fatal wounds, while the younger brother escaped on foot.

The brothers had not been under surveillance as possible militants, US government officials said.

Donegal native lived beside suspect's hiding place

An Irishman who lives next door to the man who discovered the suspect in his boat said they are still trying to comprehend what happened.

Brendan Toye, originally from Donegal, speaking to RTÉ News had seen his neighbour yesterday through his kitchen window at the side of his house.

He said he believes that is when his neighbour discovered the trail of blood and called 911.

Mr Toye said he believes the suspect was in the boat from the night before, as there had been a strong police presence in the area all day.

He said the boat is beside a fence separating their properties and he could nearly reach out his window and grab it.

Mr Toye said: "You see it on TV all day, but you never think it's going to come as close as it did."

Mr Toye and his wife and child were evacuated from the house yesterday afternoon.

He said they were only about five minutes up the street when they heard gunfire.

Mr Toye said that the gunfire was very quick and he heard between 20 and 30 gunshots, which lasted a matter of seconds.

He said there were four or five controlled explosions around 20 minutes later and about an hour later he said he heard cheering that they had arrested the suspect.