A man and a woman found dead in a flat in Drumalee Court in Dublin died from the cold.

Post mortems carried out on the bodies of John Glennon, 67, and Debbie McEvoy, 63, found the cause of their deaths to be hypothermia along with ongoing health problems.

Mr Glennon had a heart condition, while Ms McEvoy suffered from high blood pressure.

The couple may have been dead for up to a day-and-a-half before they were discovered together in the flat at around 1pm yesterday.

Carbon monoxide poisoning has been ruled out as a factor in the deaths.

There was no gas connection to the flat and gardaí discovered the electric heaters had not been switched on for a few days.

It was also established that the two had not eaten much for the few days before they died, but had consumed large quantities of alcohol.

Gardaí at the Bridewell will complete an investigation file for the Dublin City Coroner and an inquest will be held.

Detectives are satisfied that the deaths are not suspicious and they are treating the case as a tragedy.

Bord Gáis officials ruled out a gas leak after concluding their investigation of the complex yesterday.