A Medical Council inquiry into the case of a 39-year-old mother of 13 children, who it is alleged was misdiagnosed when she attended the Ennis general emergency department in June 2008, has been adjourned until tomorrow.

Martina Sherlock, Childers Road, Ennis, died on 10 December, 2008, after three operations.

Ennis consultant surgeon Syed Naqvi is facing 11 allegations of professional misconduct and/ or poor professional performance.

The surgeon, who qualified in Pakistan, has worked in Ireland since 1985.

Ms Sherlock was 17 weeks pregnant when she first attended the Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Ennis, complaining of abdominal pain on her right side.

The inquiry heard she was wrongly diagnosed with an inflamed gallbladder.

She had a miscarriage on 15 June due to septicaemia, after transfer to the Mid-Western Regional Maternity Hospital, Limerick.

It was not until 18 November following a CT scan organised at the Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, that appendicitis was diagnosed.

Ms Sherlock underwent three operations under Dr Naqvi at Ennis on 21 November, 3 December and 8 December.

It is alleged that the surgeon performed an inappropriate operation on 8 December, that he failed to arrange CT scans, failed to make provision for a transfusion, failed to ensure Ms Sherlock was adequately resuscitated after the last operation, and failed to arrange for her transfer to Limerick regional in good time.

Senior counsel for Dr Naqvi, Eileen Barrington told the inquiry that doctors at Ennis hospital have written to the Council to say safety was at risk due to the absence of a CT scanner and other equipment.

Doctors had to send patients to Limerick regional for such scans.

Giving expert evidence today for the Medical Council, London surgeon Anthony Peel said what should have been a straightforward procedure on 21 November went wrong.

Mr Peel said that after the first operation on 21 November, Dr Naqvi should have organised a CT scan for Mrs Sherlock.

He said doctors have to battle hard to get what patients need and a CT scan in this case was mandatory.

Following an investigation by the Health Information & Quality Authority in late 2008, the hospital was found to be unsafe for acute emergency care and the Emergency Department was closed.

This is the second day of the inquiry, which is scheduled for three days.