A Romanian doctor has been found guilty of poor professional performance following an inquiry by the Medical Council's Fitness to Practice committee.

The inquiry upheld several allegations against Dr Asia Ndaga, including that she was unable to take a pulse.

The committee did not find Dr Ndaga guilty of professional misconduct.

A report on the finding of the inquiry and recommendations as to sanction will now go to the full Medical Council.

Dr Ndaga, who worked at Letterkenny General Hospital, failed to turn up for a two-day Medical Council inquiry.

Dr Asia Ndaga, with an address at 17 Adelaide Avenue in Coleraine, Co Derry, faced a number of allegations.

JP McDowell, counsel for the Medical Council, told the inquiry that on 18 August 2010, Dr Ndaga worked as a senior house officer at Letterkenny General and was treating a patient suffering from drowsiness.

It is alleged that she could not identify the amount of oxygen being administered, failed to identify the medical devices being used and could not take the patient's pulse.

The inquiry heard that Dr Ndaga diagnosed rickets in the patient when she ought to have known this was not the case.

It is also alleged that Dr Ndaga failed to take an adequate patient history.

The inquiry has been told of medical council difficulties in contacting Dr Ndaga by letter, email and phone.

She is also registered with the General Medical Council in Britain.

A registrar at Letterkenny General told the inquiry that he did not see the references for Dr Ndaga before she was employed there in July last year.

Dr Ahmed Elleth said the interview was performed by the Royal College of Physicians as Dr Ndaga was on its training scheme.

Dr Elleth said July is always a challenging time for hospitals as they take on a large number of new junior doctors.

He later took the view that Dr Ndaga was an under-performing senior house officer.

The inquiry has heard that Dr Ndaga felt the assessment of her performance at the hospital, after concerns about her abilities, was too brief.

After the hospital told her they were letting her go, she said it was her first employment in Ireland and she was adjusting to the health system.