Honduras has reimposed a curfew originally imposed to halt demonstrations after last month's coup.

The interim government said the curfew would run from midnight to 5am given what was described as 'continued, open threats by groups who seek to provoke disturbances and disorder ... and to protect the people and their goods.'

The measure came after Rafael Alegria, who led protests in the wake of Manuel Zelaya's 28 June ouster, said followers would choke access routes to the capital, Tegucigalpa, today and tomorrow before fresh mediation talks in Costa Rica on Saturday.

Mr Zelaya was detained at gunpoint by the military and expelled from the country in the middle of the night in his pyjamas.

Roberto Micheletti, installed as president by Congress after the coup, yesterday repeated an offer to step down as part of an eventual solution 'for the sake of peace in the country, but only as long as Zelaya does not return.'

The coup and impasse in Honduras is the worst crisis in Central America since the Cold War and has complicated the foreign policy of US President Barack Obama, who has sought to improve ties with Latin America.

The Organisation of American States said it would keep up pressure on the coup leaders, while supporting dialogue to end the crisis.

The OAS suspended Honduras' membership on 4 July after the interim government refused to restore Mr Zelaya.