Drinking water is being delivered to hundreds of households in Sligo where flood water has caused problems with the fresh water supply.
Sligo County Council has issued notice to boil water. The council says no microbiological contamination has been found in the supply.
Boil notices are also in place in parts of Co Meath.
The county council is advising people in Athboy, Kildalkey and Ráth Cairn to boil all water they use from the mains supply, after a local river burst its banks in the area.
Speaking on RTÉ Radio's News At One, Environment Minister John Gormley said despite the economic downturn, money will be available to provide flood defences for Carlow.
He said there had been difficulties with the tendering process, but he repeated that he has given a commitment that the contract for such flood defences would proceed as quickly as possible.
Flood waters around the country have been subsiding over the course of the day.
In Carlow, flood waters have continued to subside but a number of streets remain closed.
Kennedy Street has been re-opened. However, both Centaur Street and John Street are still flooded, and dozens of residents who were forced to leave their apartments on Sunday are still being housed in temporary accommodation.
Contracts due for flood defences: OPW
Meanwhile, the Office of Public Works has said that contracts for flood defence systems will soon be finalised for towns such as Mallow, Ennis and Clonmel.
Speaking on Morning Ireland, Tom Sherlock, principal officer of engineering services at the OPW, expressed confidence that new flood defence schemes already in place in some towns will hold for many years.