This is a very satisfying rice dish and great for a hungry gang.
Everything is baked together in a pot in the oven resulting in a fluffy, healthy one-pot wonder.
The ingredients can be changed as you like for a pilaff ie diced lamb with some curry powder to liven it up, or smoked haddock and peas, beetroot and duck - the list is endless.
I'm serving this with some sour cream that has some mango chutney stirred through it, which in itself, is a tasty little number.
- 2 mugs of Basmati rice (400g)
- 2 pkts diced chicken breast fillets (700g)
- I pkt smoked bacon lardons (125g)
- 2 leeks (500g)
- Cut in half lengthways ,washed and shredded.
- I lg knob of Butter (60g)
- I chicken stock cube
- I pinch of cinnamon (optional).. Curry powder will work too.
- I tub of sour cream (200ml)
- I tbsp spicy mango chutney (30g)
- Salt and pepper
- Set your oven to 170 degrees.
- Put your butter in a largish pot over a medium heat, when foaming add your chicken and brown gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bacon and continue to cook for another minute or so. Add the leeks, then make your stock with 800mls of hot water. Add your rice and cinnamon and mix well, add your stock and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, place a lid on top and cook for 25 minutes in the oven. When the time Is up, fluff the rice up gently with a fork and place a clean tea towel over the top of the pot without the lid and leave for a few minutes, this will remove any excess moisture.
- Mix the sour cream and mango chutney together and serve with the pilaff.