Baked in a round cake tin with layers of apple and sponge cake flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest and a good dash of whiskey. Decorated with toasted almonds on top. Served with a sweetened orange whiskey, icing sugar cream.
Serves 8 to 10
For the cake
- 3 cooking apples, peeled and sliced into thin wedges.
- Spoon over some lemon juice
- 120g soft butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 270g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- A good grating of nutmeg
- 1 medium orange, zest only
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp whiskey
For the cream
- 150ml cream
- 60g sifted icing sugar
- 1 orange, zest only
- Dash of whiskey
- Caster sugar and ground cinnamon, to sprinkle on the top
- 3 to 4 tbsp toasted flaked almonds, to decorate
- To prepare the cream, place the cream, icing sugar, orange zest and whiskey into a bowl and whisk until soft peak stage. Spoon into a serving bowl and place in the fridge until ready to use
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.To prepare the cake, line the base of a 22cm spring form tin with parchment paper. Brush the sides with melted butter and dust with flour. Set aside the slices apples – ready to layer up. The lemon juice will stop them from browning.
- Place the soft butter, vanilla and sugar into a mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy.Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking in between.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, milk and whiskey.
- Spoon half of the sponge mixture into the tin, arrange a half layer of sliced apples.Spoon over the remaining sponge mixture.
- Arrange the apple slices on top. Dust 2 to 3 tbsp of caster sugar and ground cinnamon over top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the cake is baked. Insert a skewer to check and if it comes out clean then it is baked. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before running a thin knife around the tin to loosen. Unclip the tin.