Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: Approx 45 mins
- 400g Rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces and cooked for 1 min
- 100g Demerara sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs plus 1 yolk
- 250 mls full-fat milk
- 250 mls double cream
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 225g of bread such as brioche or white rolls
- 30g butter175g cream cheese or ricotta
- 30g icing sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- Whipped cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180oC
- Bring the milk, cream & vanilla extra to the boil, turn of the heat. In a bowl mix together the eggs and sugar.
- Pour the warm milk & cream mix over the eggs and mix thoroughly. Add the icing sugar & zests to the cream cheese and mix. Spread the cheese onto the bread slices.
- Using an oven proof dish, layer the bread and rhubarb into the dish. Sieve the custard mix over the bread slices and allow top soak for a couple of minutes.
- Place into a roasting dish and pour enough boiling water into the roasting dish to come halfway up the sides.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 40-45 mins or until golden and set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream.