Watch How to Cook Well at Christmas with Rory O'Connell Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd of December at 6.30pm on RTÉ One.
- 450g Brussels sprouts
- 25g butter
- 40g membrillo, finely diced
- 40g walnuts, dry roasted in a frying pan and coarsely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the brussels sprouts by trimming off any ragged leaves. Cut the sprouts in half from top to bottom.
- Bring 1 litre of water to a boil and add a good pinch of salt – if you taste the water it will be quite salty.
- Add in the sprouts and cook uncovered at a gentle boil until tender. Immediately strain off the water.
- Return the sprouts to the still-hot saucepan and add in the butter and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Replace on a low heat and add the membrillo and walnuts. Toss again and serve immediately in a heated serving dish.