Smooth and rich, this chicken liver parfait goes wonderfully with toasted bread.
- 400g fresh chicken livers, well-trimmed
- 300ml milk
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp ruby red port
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbsp cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the chicken livers in the milk overnight. The next day, drain and dry with kitchen paper.
- Blend in a food processor for 30-40 seconds, until very smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4).
- Melt a knob of the butter in a saut. pan set over a low heat and sweat the shallots, garlic, and thyme for 2-3 minutes to soften but not colour.
- Add the port and carefully flambé. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat to cool a little, then add to the chicken liver puree with the eggs, cream, the rest of the butter and plenty of seasoning.
- Blend again for 30 seconds.
- Pass through a fine sieve into a jug, then pour into 8 x 120ml Kilner jars.
- Cover each one with tin foil and place in a bain-marie (a roasting tin half-filled with boiling water) and cook in the oven 30-35 minutes, until they still have a slight wobble in the centre.
- Remove from the bain-marie and take off the foil, then leave to cool.
- Pour over a little melted butter once cooled.
- Seal and chill until needed.