A boozy cake for the festive season.
Prep/Cook time: Approx 90
For the Cake Batter:
- 360g plain flour
- 2 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 225g soft butter
- 350g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 55ml vegetable oil
- 100ml evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 55ml rum
- 50g flaked almonds
- Berries of your choice for topping
- 55g butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 60ml evaporated milk
- 55ml rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Grease a cake tin with some softened butter. Dust with a little flour.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Whisk together oil, evaporated milk, vanilla extract and rum. Slowly add half the flour mix and beat together. Do the same with the rest.
- Sprinkle the almonds and berries on the bottom of the cake tin. Add the batter.
- Bake for approx. 1 hour. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
- Prepare the syrup by bringing all the ingredients to the boil.
- Cook for 5 mins until it thickens.
- Poke holes in the cake and pour syrup on top. Allow to sit in the pan for an hour before turning out.
- Serve with whipped cream.