A warming and delicious soup, perfect as a starter.
Serves - 6
Prep time - 1-hour approx.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1kg Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 50g smoked bacon
- 120ml Brandy
- 30ml dry sherry
- 35g flour
- 1.5l beef stock
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 baguette
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely sliced
- 60g Emmental cheese, grated
- Place a large, heavy-based pan on the stove.
- When the pan is hot, add the oil and melt the butter then add the onions, garlic and bacon.
- Cook over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring so they become soft and dark golden brown.
- Add the brandy and sherry and bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until the liquid has reduced by two-thirds.
- Stir in the flour then add the stock and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, skimming constantly, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Check the seasoning.
To make the croutons
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Cut the baguette into 1cm thick slices.
- Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake until golden brown.
- Rub the cooked croutons with the garlic, sprinkle with the cheese and place under a hot grill until the cheese turns golden brown.
- Serve the soup in bowls garnished with the croutons.